Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

mobo/pc temp

• Please log in to reply

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I would be very surprised if your harddrive is running at 32f--way too cool

I think your motherboard simply lacks the ability to sense two drives

As for the File Protection alert....how did you uninstall, then reinstall sp2?

Advertisements

jmoney3457

jmoney3457

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
ya i do 2 gerry its a 3y/o mobo so it wouldnt surprise me but neways..i got those 2 stubborn windows updates to install but still stuck w/ the stupid file protection starts upon EVERY bootup :whistling: & as for uninstall/reinstall I used add/remove to uninstall then used windows update feature to reinstall..any idea on how to stop this sfc check on every boot up? ive checked the msconfig boot up nothing there..could it be in the services utility?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I actually think you have an incomplete sp2 install for some reason...and it is possible the update fails because of it

Uninstall sp2 again, then download this version of sp2

http://www.microsoft...45-9e368d3cdb5a

it is a standalone install of sp2. Then run that one.

jmoney3457

jmoney3457

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
oh ok thx 4 the link gerry ill try it..oh crap i didnt know if you noticed or not but in the description it says this

DO NOT CLICK DOWNLOAD IF YOU ARE UPDATING JUST ONE COMPUTER: A smaller, more appropriate download is now available on Windows Update. The best way to ensure you get Windows XP Service Pack 2 is by turning on the Automatic Updates feature in Windows XP today. You can use our step-by-step instructions or, if you prefer, let us do it for you.

from that link..and i am only updating 1 comp..should i continue w/ this?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
yes, download it....

I understand them not wanting to overload their servers, but the windows update clearly did not complete properly so let's try this one and see if problem 1 goes away

then we will work on problem 2

jmoney3457

jmoney3457

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
right on :whistling: