Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DSL internet acting up

• Please log in to reply

POC Computer

POC Computer

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
Internet is shuting down on its own. I'm paying for this internet, but I'm unable to use it. Currently I've been using a friend's connection, but I'd like to get my internet back.

Ad-Aware, Spybot, Ewido found malicious downloaders which were usccessfully removed. This speeded up my internet significantly, but it still signs off repeatedly.

Also....I realized that I only have 15% free space left on my computer. I was wondering if you could give me some recommendations for how to clean that up.

I tried defragmenting my computer, but the process shut down half way through saying that "some of the volume could not be defragmented."

SO.....lots of problems....NO idea what to do, please help!

Regards,

POC Computer

Advertisements

jmoney3457

jmoney3457

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
hi poc, have you tried running the disk cleanup utility in windows? & also whats the size of your HD?

POC Computer

POC Computer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
I tried running disc cleanup but the process timed out and shut down; however, I do run ccleaner at least once a day to manage my registry.

Here's some info on my computer, I think it's what you need, but let me know if it isn't:

Intel Pentium III Processor
996 MHz, 512 MB of RAM

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what do you mean by "internet is shutting down on it's own"? could you be a little more descriptive on that..

start in safe mode with command prompt (press f8 during boot, a list of startup options will come up, choose safe mode with command prompt) and type chkdsk /r /f and let that run UNDISTURBED to completion (if it asks to rechedule on next reboot...tell it yes...and reboot) report any errors

POC Computer

POC Computer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Well I'll be using the internet for a while, you know clicking on things and generally enjoying life, but then I'll click on something else and this time a message appears saying "page cannot be displayed."

If I hit the back button SEVERAL times then I am returned to a functioning page. :whistling:

If I click on the wireless icon on the bottom right toolbar and select my wireless network it says NOT CONNECTED; however the button at the bottom asks if I want to DISCONNECT making me think that it actually is connected! :blink:

If I then refresh the internet page it works, FOR A SHORT TIME, then it freaks out again. :help:

I ran the program and, after completion, nothing appeared the computer just started up like normal. I'm not sure what that means, but I'm assuming no errors...

ALSO...if I try to REPAIR the internet connection it freaks out at different points, never the same point twice, and doesn't complete the repair. I'm not sure what this means either.......GOOD LUCK

POC Computer

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
while you're connected and everything is working

Test your Network
1. Go to Start > Run > type: NETSH DIAG GUI - press 'OK'. A Command Prompt window will open temporarily; don't touch it, it will disappear in a moment.
2. A Microsoft Help and Support window will then open; select the option 'Scan your system'.
3. Wait for the scan to finish and then scroll down to the heading 'Modems and Network Adapters'. Look at 'Network Adapters' (don't expand it yet). Beside your connection information, you should see a green 'PASSED'; if you do not (if you see a red 'FAILED') then expand 'Network Adapters', scroll down the list until you see the heading with the 'FAILED', expand that option and copy and paste the results here.
In the NETSH DIAG GUI, you should be looking for any red 'FAILED', however the key one is Network Adapters for you. If you see any other red FAILED, expand the component and copy the results.

then do it again after one of the "failures"

POC Computer

POC Computer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Everything came up as PASSED.

Ewido found ten more malicious tracking cookies which were removed. Could there be something on my computer that's downloading these cookies and creating my problems?

What should I do now? Do you want a HijackThis logfile?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
Please go HERE and skip to step 5 (Step Five: Posting a Hijack This Log). Follow all of the steps for scanning your computer and generating a log. when the scan is complete, press the "Save log" button. A "Save Log file" dialog box will appear. Type Hijackthis.txt for the file name and make sure that "save as type" is set to "all files". Save this file to a location that you will remember (your desktop is good). Now on your next post ATTACH this newly created txt file with your next post.
DO NOT POST THE CONTENTS OF THE HIJACK THIS LOG. This will encourage others to do this as well and we do not want that.

POC Computer

POC Computer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Here you go, hope this gives some insight into my problem!

POC Computer

POC Computer

POC Computer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Here you go, hope this gives some insight into my problem!

POC Computer

Edited by POC Computer, 02 June 2006 - 06:50 PM.

Advertisements

POC Computer

POC Computer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Okay the file doesn't seem to be attaching. Geeks to Go is telling me, "Upload failed. You are not permitted to upload a file with that file extension." So I'm not sure what to do, I tried saving the logfile to a different location and then uploading, but that doesn't seem to work.

-POC Computer

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
right click the file, choose SENDTO > COMPRESSED FOLDER

Text files are normally allowed, so not sure what is going on

POC Computer

POC Computer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
I still don't think it's still not letting me upload the file

Attached Files

POC Computer

POC Computer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Nevermind...it worked like a charm!

POC Computer

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I don't know what Dsennette is looking for, but I did take a quick look and saw a trojan horse still enabled on your system, as well as some evidence of past malware infections

You should visit the malware forum while you are waiting for him to return.