Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ADAMANT LAPTOP

• Please log in to reply

Sumit

Sumit

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
:whistling:

Hi. I'm new to this forum and to be honest I joined it mainly to solve a peciliar problem that I am quite frustrated about, though I do intend to post regularly on most IT issues - there are far too many these days.

My office IT guys couldn't help me but are aware of this problem on their other machines as well. I see lots of websites also suggesting a lot of things but nothing has helped so far.

My setup:

I have set up a wireless system with a Linksys router for internet connectivity at home.

I am using one desktop (Win Xp Home Edition SP2) with a Linksys wireless receiver which is set up on a workgroup called MSHOME. The printer is connected to the desktop. The desktop has Norton Antivirus and Norton Internet Security installed.

I also have a laptop (Win Xp Pro Edition SP2) with an inbuilt wireless adaptor. My laptop is normally configured for my office LAN within a domain - no workgroup is assigned. The laptop is installed with McAfee as part of my company's instructions.

My success so far:

I configured both the desktop and the laptop successfully as independent machines going on to the internet with the help of Starhub (the ISP of Singapore and Linksys online help).

I also successfully configured such that I am able to "see" my desktop and its shared folders and the printer and am also able to "work" on the large hard disk of my desktop and also able to "print". Further I am able to ping my desktop successfully.

The problem:

On the home wireless network I am unable to ping from the desktop to the laptop and so I am also unable to "see" the laptop. So obviously I am also unable to do any file sharing etc on the laptop. Even if I disable Firewall on both machines or I disable McAfee/Norton on the machines, each time it's a persistent "Request Timed Out".

On the office network (LAN) it is the same problem for my administrator. He is unable to ping to me but is able to at least "see" my machine name. But he is not able to view any folders.

Any one can come up with a real good help on this issue?

Sumit

Advertisements

Sumit

Sumit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi is there no one to help?
Sumit

Sumit

Sumit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hello, is the site on? I thought I should be getting some real good help. Sad??

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hello Sumit,

Most security software is still active on a lower level even when you have the software disabled. Please restart the laptop into Safe Mode with Networking and then attempt to ping to it, and also create a connection.

Goto Start --> Settings --> Control Panel --> Click on Security Center --> Select Windows Firewall --> Select Off (not recommended) and then click Apply.

Now, goto Start --> Run --> Type Services.msc --> Scroll down to Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) --> Right-click and select Properties --> Change the Start-up type to Disabled and then click the Stop button --> Press Apply and then close those windows. Once done, restart your laptop into Safe Mode with Networking.

How to restart into Safe Mode with Networking
Please restart your computer and as soon as it starts booting up again continuously tap F8. A menu should come up where you will be given the option to enter Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Command Prompt and Safe Mode with Networking (along with a few others). Please tap the down key until you reach Safe Mode with Networking, and then press the Enter key. Your computer should now boot into Safe Mode with Networking.

If you're still unable to ping the laptop whilst it is in Safe Mode with Networking, then please try the following tests --

On both of your computers, please goto Start --> Run --> type CMD and press OK --> then type: IPCONFIG /ALL - please post the results here by right-clicking on the Command Prompt window, selecting 'Select All', pressing the Enter key, and then posting on this forum. Alternately, you can save your information to a text file by using the following command: IPCONFIG /ALL > C:\ipconfig.txt -- navigate to that text file, and copy/paste the information from it.

On the Desktop computer, please goto Start --> Run --> type net view \\<NAME_OF_LAPTOP> and press OK -- replace <NAME_OF_LAPTOP> with the name of the laptop... ie: net view \\DANIEL -- Please post the error if one appears; if not, please let me know what happened.

On the laptop, please goto Start --> Run --> type CMD and press OK --> Now type: nbtstat -c -- please copy/paste the results by right-clicking on the Command Prompt window, selecting 'Select All', pressing the Enter key, and then posting on this forum.