Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

JUST INSTALLED INTERNET

• Please log in to reply

MOOKIED

MOOKIED

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I JUST PURCHASED INTERNET AND INSTALLED THE CD AND WHEN I TRY TO CONNECT IT KEEPS TELLING ME " CANNOT CONNECT TO REMOTE COMPUTER" WHY? AND WHAT ARE SOME OF MY OPTIONS TO FIX THIS? I JUST HAD MY COMPUTER CLEANED AND THE RESTORE DISKS WERE REINSTALLED.

Advertisements

queu0

queu0

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
dont have a clue i can ask my dad we have internet cennetion or you can just get windows xp like me it works perfect:):tazz::)

Chronos0001

Chronos0001

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
Don't panic.
First, I have to ask you about the type of connection you just purchased. (dial up or DSL) I will assume for the moment is is a broadband connection. (DSL or Cable)

Does your modem (the device that you hook your phone or cable into show all the ready lights is it supposed to? (Power, SYS, 10m or 100m) If it does nt show these things, you may not be getting an internet connection your computer can pick up.

If you are getting all of those indications, does your network card work. Your network card is the hardware that takes the signal from your broadband modem via a cable (usually CAT 5) to your computer. There are 2 lights you should look for. On the back of your network card there should be two lights, on green and one amber (yellow) green is the connection, and amber is the presence of data flowing across the wire. Respectively you should see a connection light on your modem indicating that your connection is good at both ends.
Beware, alot of modems come with their own cables. These are called crossover cables because they have certain wires crossed when the connectors were made. They are unique to each system.

With the preceding advice, you should be able to determine whether or not you have a signal comming to your computer.

Now for your computer.

Make sure your Network card is recognized by your system and working properly.
Go to the control panel and then to DEVICE MANAGER and see if there is an entry called "Network Adaptors"
If there is, and there is a yellow exclamation or a red "X" you have a hardware or software issue with your system you need to resolve before attempting to make your internet connection.

When you know your network card is being recognized, and you know your broadband signal is coming in, then you can run your CD software again to setup your pathway to bridge the two and enjoy.

More help available with more details about your system

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
has your phone line been converted to take broadband?