Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

GeForce 6600 GT 128mb AGP Malfunction

• Please log in to reply

Ithandir

Ithandir

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
at midnight i was still sitting on my pc doin work n all. in the morning with nothing before that, the card stopped sending a video signal to my lcd. its connected to it through DVI. the pc doesnt beep any error, starts as usual even makes the sound of xp starting up. i have now disconnected it and connected the lcd via VGA to my built in video card in my PC. its very unclear as to what causes it. overnight something happened with the video card and now no matter what i do it doesnt work. i have had it for a year and a month now. bought it at Leadtek.
I tried cleaning the contacts using alcohol but it doesnt help. the card just doesnt report an error and at the same time doesnt send a video signal to the screen not via the dvi cable nor via the vga one.

got a Pentium 2.8Ghz Prescott 1MB 2nd lvl cache, 800Mhz FSB.
Intel D865GBF motherboard.
2x512mb Ram dual channel.
Built in SoundMax sound card.
19" LCD screen.
160GB SATA WD HDD.
350W power supply.

Edited by Ithandir, 30 May 2006 - 02:50 AM.

Advertisements

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
Are you 100% sure that the failure is in the card and not the cable(s)? I know it's unlikely that both would fry, but it's always a possibility.

One piece of info you decided not to give us was your video card :whistling: Looking at your power supply, that may not have enough power for it depending on what card you have. I'm not sure if lack of power would cut DVI/VGA connection or not, but once again, possibilities.

Ithandir

Ithandir

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
ups im sorry :whistling: ive got a 6600 GT 128mb Gforce AGP 8x. ive tested with other video cards all works fine (except for anything heavy graphically :blink: ) i even connected it a while ago to another PC and that pc beeped a video error (long beep, 2 short ones...) and i dont know what to do because with that power supply it has worked for a year and 2 months with 2-3 crashes of my PC that didnt have to do with it. now its not working at all and both cables of the LCD screen are fine im using it now with a built in video card (crappy intel extreme graphics 2). Please help if u can i cleaned the card using alcohol and im gonna put fresh heat transfer solution (white stuff between the micro chip and the heatsink i dont know its name). other than that i dont know what could have changed overnight. i keep my PC off during the night allways.

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
With the computer beep-age it may be that your video card has bitten the dust. If it won't even work in another computer, it sounds like you may have to buy a new video card or stay with your integrated :gags:

Considering everything else is working, and the cables work, the death of your card seems like the only answer (if someone knows I'm wrong, please correct me).

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
-Double post-

Edited by BlackPandemic, 31 May 2006 - 01:39 PM.

Ithandir

Ithandir

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
yea i guessed that was the problem. it sucks... one year and 2 months and the card is dead... the guys even gave me a guarantee accordingly - the guarantee is 1 year while this card died 2 moths after the end of it. thx for the help anyways.

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
Sad to say, I've heard a lot of things about electronics dying or breaking after the warranty, stupid marketing.

You're welcome for the 'help'