Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

msi nvidia fx5600 artifacts

• Please log in to reply

rloadfon

rloadfon

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi guys

I’m having some problems with my nvidia FX 5600 as I can’t run games like Oblivion and Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter.

I’m using version 56.72 forceware drivers and pretty much everything is ok (the games mentioned above won’t run though). If I update my drivers to anything newer than 56.72 I get artifacts on every 3d game (including games such as Operation Flashpoint for example which is really old).

My system specs are:

AMD Athlon XP 2000
1Gb RAM PC2700 333Mhz
MSI KT3 Ultra2 based on VIA KT333 chipset
MSI FX5600 128Mb
Soundblaster Audigy 24bit
2 Hard Disks (20mb + 80 Mb)
400W PSU

In addition, I’ve got WINXP SP2 and the latest 4in1 chipset drivers (5.00a).

I’ve tried many different BIOS settings, used RivaTuner to mess around with even more settings and the artifacts are still there when using any version newer than 56.72.

Do you think the card is not fully compatible with DirectX 9.0c (i.e. RUBBISH)?
Do you think there are compatibility issues between the card and the chipset?
If I need to upgrade which card you think is better: ASUS 6600 256MB or SAPPHIRE X1600 PRO 256MB? (I can get either one for around 120 euro)

Thank you

Advertisements

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Hello rloadfon and welcome to G2G!

The card isn't the greatest thing in the world but it is DirectX 9 compatible.
Have you tried updating your motherboard chipset drivers?

dllp117

dllp117

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
i hate to be straight forward, but...your card is crap. the nvidia 5600 is pretty old, i think that it's the lowest on the compatible lisr for oblivion, if it's even on the list, so definately upgrade. DEFINATELY get the x1600. sapphire is the best maker of radeon cards, and the x1600 is one of the best radeon cards...i think it's the third best. (that's including the x1900 and the new 1gb card. but that's $1500) correct me if i'm wrong.

rloadfon

rloadfon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I updated the chipset drivers recently as the version i'm using is the latest in the 4in1 series. The next series is the Hyperion drivers and i doubt there''ll be any change but i'll try anyway.
When Ghost Recon AW crashes i get a message about a Direct3d incompatibility and that's why i'm suspecting a hardware problem because the card is old.
I'll get the x1600 pretty soon as it's fairly cheap just to get by for a couple of months until i buy a new system (can't afford it right now).

Thanks guys