Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Weird Problem With start up

• Please log in to reply

Aece

Aece

• Pip
  • 4 posts
When I log in I cant see my Icons and the Start button I can only see my wallpaper and then I go to window task manager and the CPU Usage is around 56 so I dont know if thats normal or not and I have no clue what to do but any information on how to fix it would be nice and if no one can help do you suggest I call Geek Squad?

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi Aece! Welcome to G2G!

I wouldn't recommend calling the local computer repair shop just yet. what I would like you to is go into the task manager and click on FILE-->NEW TASK and type explorer.exe. Do the desktop icons and start menu appear then? If not, try booting into Safe Mode (When you first turn on your computer, tap F8 about once a second until the screen appears allow you to enter SAFE MODE) and see if you can see the desktop icons and start menu.

Fenor

Aece

Aece

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks Fenor what you told me did work thank you alot I'm glad I didint have to call Geek Squad cause if they would of charged me I probly wouldnt pay them up running short on cash latley so thanks again

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Well working in safe mode isn't what you want to be running your computer in all the time. It is a diagnostic mode of windows which is used for trouble-shooting/repairing problems with the computer. What I would like you to do while in Safe Mode is the following:

Lets take a look at what is starting up when your computer does. Please download HiJackThis (from the link in my signature) Install it, and double-click on the HiJackThis.exe icon. On the first screen click on Open the Misc Tools Section...On the next screen, click on the Generate StartupList log button and post a copy of the log here. You need not check either of the boxes next to this button.

Double-click the HiJackThis.exe[/b] icon again to open HijackThis. On the first screen click on Open the Misc Tools Section...on the next screen, click on the Open Uninstall Manager button and click on Save List on the next screen. Save it to your desktop so it is easy to find. Once saved, open up the saved file, located on your desktop, and copy and paste everything in it in your next post.

Remeber to post BOTH logs it creates in your next post.

Fenor

Aece

Aece

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Okay what if I'm not running my computer thru safemode what if all I have to do is just go thru Window Task Manager and do the and go to new tasks and do explorer.exe and it brings up my icons should I still download hijack this that you said for me to do?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Yes I still would because you shouldn't have to do that to get your computer up and running each time you turn it on.

Fenor

Aece

Aece

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I'm sorry Fenor but I'm probly starting to bug you but I'm not good at computers and I'm still learning but anyways do I install HIjackthis only when I'm in safe mode or can I install it while out of safe mode becasue it's what I did and it wont let me install it only scan and try to fix the problem.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
You can run HijackThis in either safe mode or normal mode. Just double-click the icon and follow the steps in my previous post to get the uninstall list and startup list.

Since you can't see the desktop when you startup in normal mode, you will most likely have to do it in safe mode.

Fenor