Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Power Users and Win.ASP.net?

• Please log in to reply

parlayit

parlayit

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I was trying to create an account for my little brother the other day, so he can play games on my computer without messing with the rest of my stuff.... here's what I noticed:

1) When I went into User Accounts, I noticed that there was some user called "Win-Asp.net A'..." or something to that effect... said it was password protected and a limited account... not sure where the heck it came from so I deleted it... I'm wondering whether I should have done that... I don't recall creating the account and I don't see it on the login screen.... any ideas?

2) What are Power Users? I was trying to limit my brother to just games and when I went to set which users have the ability to edit a file, I noticed Administrators... blah blah blah and Power Users... is this anything i should be worried about?

3) Lastly... can someone direct me to a site or instructions on how to setup a situation where all my brother can access are games and nothing else... maybe his own "My Documents"... but that's it... I want to know kind of sharing and security setups are needed...

Thanks in advance for those willing to help..... :whistling:

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts

I was trying to create an account for my little brother the other day, so he can play games on my computer without messing with the rest of my stuff.... here's what I noticed:

1) When I went into User Accounts, I noticed that there was some user called "Win-Asp.net A'..." or something to that effect... said it was password protected and a limited account... not sure where the heck it came from so I deleted it... I'm wondering whether I should have done that... I don't recall creating the account and I don't see it on the login screen.... any ideas?

It was created by the .netframework. The account is generally used if you are developing software with ,net. I have not run into a case where deleting it causes issues, even with .net applications. It would not harm anyone being there, though either

2) What are Power Users? I was trying to limit my brother to just games and when I went to set which users have the ability to edit a file, I noticed Administrators... blah blah blah and Power Users... is this anything i should be worried about?

You must have xp pro. The Power User class can perform any task except for those reserved for Administrators. They are allowed to carry out functions that will not directly affect the operating system or risk security. Power users can create local user accounts, modify user accounts which they have created, change user permissions on users, power users, and guests, install and run applications that do not affect the operating system, customize settings and resources on the Control Panel, such as Printers, Date/Time, and Power Options. They cannot access other users' data without permission or delete or modify user accounts they did not create

3) Lastly... can someone direct me to a site or instructions on how to setup a situation where all my brother can access are games and nothing else... maybe his own "My Documents"... but that's it... I want to know kind of sharing and security setups are needed...

Thanks in advance for those willing to help..... :whistling:

The problem with this is despite Microsoft's intent, some games require an administrator privilidge. Very annoying. You can encrypt files under your account, and password protect your account

Might work on a program, too

You can group policy to restrict user access to certain areas of windows

You can buy 3rd party programs to lock people from programs

You need to be more specific as to what you do not want him to do---furthermore, is this really something you need to do? Siblings using computers who go down this route concern me. Do you even have the authorty to "lock" him out? I know that if I had one child locking another child out on the family computer, I would have some issues with the locker.

Education is always the best solution to these issues.

parlayit

parlayit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
To start off, I do have the authority to lock him out... It's my computer and I'm actually much older than he is... he's a stepbrother... i'm not a child is what i'm saying...

when i created his account, i logged in and noticed 5 icons on his desktop... the recycle bin, chessmaster, turbotax, my Creative Zen M mp3 shortcut, and one other link... i want those to disappear, and i want to put a shortcut for a couple of games...

i'd like to restrict him from going into certain folders/drives... for example, i'd like him to stay out of limewire,... i just want him to be able to play a few games, that's about it...

lastly, is it necessary for me to have power users on my computer? should i get rid of it?

thanks again in advance :whistling:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
the five icons on his desktop are coming from either the default user account, which is a template from which all new accounts are created, or a the ALL users account.

You need to alter that account accordingly

c:\documents and settings\all users
c:\documents and settings\default

If you delete an icon from the all user account folder, it will delete on all accounts...you might want to move it to your profile first.

If you remove it from the default account, future new accounts will nto contain the icon

To create an icon in only his account, you log in to his account and create an icon in the normal way (one way being go to c:\program files\program folder and right click and drag the .exe file to the desktop and choose CREATE SHORTCUT

limewire is a program, not a file or folder. It is also not a smart program for you to have on your system. We do not offer assistance for p2p programs on this forum as policy since it is largely used for illegal file sharing.

You cannot get rid of default user groups (administrators, power users)

Windows security is really not designed for the kind of access control you intend. One thing you could do with a program that you wanted to prohibit users from accessing is create a new group, add your brother to that group, and deny access to the folder that contains the program to that group

That will work, but if he is an administrator, which may be required for thos games, he could change if back if he knows what he is doing.

parlayit

parlayit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
i'll give it a shot... thanks alot!! :whistling: