Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Error thats driving me crazy....please help!

• Please log in to reply

dub3325

dub3325

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
Hi everyone,

Heres my problem:

This Device Cannot Start: Code 10

I thought my HD crapped out a week ago, but realized all it needed was a memory and bios reset. After I did that....my two video cards (1 agp, 1 pci), now have error messages next to them in my device manager. I have tried everything on this thread http://www.hauppauge...hread.php?t=123 and have had no luck. Including unplugging and plugging in the card.

I can manually disable and enable the video cards and they will then function. However, when I restart my computer, they crap out once again. I am thinking that it could be one of my bios options. If anyone could help, that would be wonderful.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if you completely uninstall one of the cards (let's say the pci one) through device manager...then physically remove it from the machine...on reboot does the agp card work without having to monkey with it? does it still have the error 10?

dub3325

dub3325

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Hi dsenette,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I just tried that, and the agp card is still a no go. I tried messing with the PCI registry settings, and that solves the problem temporarily. But it always seems to jump back to error once I reboot.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what if you do the same process as above...but instead of removing the pci card you remove the agp card (after completely uninstalling it which may require getting drivercleaner pro and removing all of the agp card's drivers) and leave the pci card in

dub3325

dub3325

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
I just tried that dsen....still no go......do you think it has something to do with my bios settings?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it's possible...i was hoping that it was a conflict between the cards...

you've got the most current driver's for both video cards right? why do you have two?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Code 10 is usually one of two things:

1) wrong driver.
2) system is basically out of room for any more cards. Go into BIOS and switch off stuff you don't use - things like serial ports, parallel ports, etc to free them up.

Alternatively, try this on the device that doesn't start:
http://www.socketcom...ote_Error10.htm

dub3325

dub3325

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
I have two cards because I use 2 monitors for work. I downloaded both drivers specifically to each vid card so i'm 99% sure they are the right drivers.

Thanks neil. I'll give that a go right now.

dub3325

dub3325

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
doesnt seem to be working......I never had any troubles with the default bios settings before, but now its just being a pain in my butt.

Another thing that is happening....is that my pci card loads before my agp card. Which is weird even though I set agp to priority....

/scream!!!! Wish I knew more about bios settings

Edited by dub3325, 30 May 2006 - 04:40 PM.