Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HARDWARE PROBLEM:need urgent help

• Please log in to reply

OSS

OSS

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hello everyone,
My XP hangs Frequently and i donot know what to do..Sometimes it hangs on startup,Sometimes on Motherboard logo at very beginning..sometimes on booting and sometimes when running an application and sometimes on browsing..there is no software Problem as i have formatted my hard disk a Dozen times..it also hangs when intalling Windows XP :whistling:

IN HARDWARE:i have changed power supply,checked the datacables and have replaced them 2 times..Again changed my HDD..tested my ram(512mb) on another PC that is working fine..Removed all my PCI cards(Modem and LAN Card)....Inspite of all these Efforts it still hangs And sometimes it often donot DETECT MY Hard disk whereas it always detects my cd rom..i have changed from primary master to secondary master but still that dont works..IT ALSO sometimes hangs on FIRMWARE that is in BIOS menu..PLease help me as i am trying to figure out the error for about 6 monthss :blink:

Advertisements

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
I suspect a RAM problem - nearly everything else has been eliminated except for overheating issues. You didn't say how you checked the RAM, just where. You need to run Memtest86 for a proper test. Its available as an ISO file download that's burned to a CD using Roxio, Nero or the free CDBurnerXP.

Configure your BIOS to try to boot from the optical drive before it tries to boot from the hard drive. Leave the disk in the optical drive and restart. The program will boot and load by itself. Let it run the suite of tests twice. The RAM is OK if no errors are found. If errors are found and there are multiple memory sticks then run the test with only one stick installed at a time to isolate the bad one.

As for overheating problems, this can be checked with Everest Home Free Edition 2.20. Look under the Sensors section for teperatures and power supply outputs. The CPU temp should never exceed 60C under heavey load. Keep an eye on the CPU temp untill the next crash.

OSS

OSS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Thanks for those suggestions...

Since i have Mentioned that i have Intel D865GBF Motherboard which has Intel Active monitor as a tool to Monitor temperature of Processor and system zones..My temperature Normally remains Between 65 and 70 and it has reached to a max of 94 where it had automatically shut down and gave me SYSTEM SHUT DOWN DUE TO THERMAL OVERHEATING.. On the next time i started. :blink: .I have changed my PowerSupply three times And this time i have placed 400W supply for proper Power supply to processor.

About the ram I have 2*256MB Kingston DDR 400Mhz operating in Dual channel mode.I have plugged them one by one and tested it but still that dont works..also i have tried it with 256@333mhz but still no progress :whistling:

My pc spces are:
Processor:Intel Pentium4
Motherboard:Intel D865GBF
Ram:2*256MB[512] Kingston DDR 400Mhz operating in Dual channel mode
HDD:80GB Seagate
Two PCI cards:Lan and Modem

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
HOLY COW, BATMAN !! You need to get the max CPU temp down to 60C or below immediately or risk frying your CPU permanently. I'm not kidding.

Set the BIOS shutdown temp to 65C to prevent permanent CPU damage.

You will need to reapply thermal paste between the heatsink and CPU surfaces. I recommend Arctic Silver 5. Have this in hand before you remove the heatsink.

Take the heatsink and fan off and clean out any dust that has accumulated with a small stiff brush.

Clean the old paste off both the CPU and heatsink surfaces with a soft cloth or tissue wetted with rubbing alcohol. Apply a small amount of new paste to the top of the CPU -- about the size of a pencil point and spead it about with the edge of a credit card into a thin coating. Replace the heatsink and fan (HSF).

Test the max CPU temp with Prime95 - the max temp should stay below 60 while running the Torture Test. If the temp goes past 60 you should get a better HSF and consider more or faster case fans.