Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Which IDE for a DVD rewriter?

• Please log in to reply

ChrisJL

ChrisJL

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
My old Leadtek M/B died on my old PC (see post 18 March - Random Closedown & Reboot :blink: ) and decided (having brought a new x2 AMD machine) to have a go - as a project - at rebuilding the old PC with the bits that still okay.

So kit in rebuild:

old bits

2 x 512 PC2700 DDR
Sapphire ATI Radeon 9500 Pro AGP
LG CD Writer/Rewriter HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8481B
SONY DVD-ROM DDU1613
ATX Case

new bits

ASRock939-SATA2 M/B
Athlon 64 3000+
Antec 400w PSU
Western Digital WD2000JS Sata 2 HDD (which on a SATA2 connection on the M/B

All went together okay (in fact it made me wonder why a brought a new one!!!), Windows loaded and updated and running nicely. :help:

But not sure how best to properly configure the 2 IDE drives (the DVD-Rom and CD writer), particularly as I'm thinking of getting a DVD writer. :whistling:

So far I've put the 2 existing drives on Primary IDE with the SONY as the Master and the LG writer as a Slave. Is that right?

What is I now add a DVD writer. Should that go onthe Secondary IDE as a Master?

Cannot find a lot of advice around this. But want to make the most efficient use of the drives recopying, etc.

Thanks.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
if it's the only drive on the secondary ide controller then it should be set as master and plugged in to the end of the ide cable...if you've got two drives on the secondary controller..then whichever is on the end is master and the one in the middle is slave

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
The Master does not have to be at the end of the cable when there are two drives. With a single drive then it must be set to Master and there always must be a drive at the end of the cable.

If you get a new DVD writer then you can toss the old drives away as the new one will be far superior to the old ones, thus making them obsolete.

NEC 3550A DVD+-RW Double Layer 16X

ChrisJL

ChrisJL

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Thanks for the comments.

I was just trying to work out whether having the writer drive on a seperate IDE connection from the reading drive allows for faster writing.

Thanks

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
This would be be true, but there's no need to both read and write from/to 2 optical drives at the same time. When copying CDs/DVDs the data is always completely copied to hard disk before being written out to the new disc. That's also why a single, capable (modern DVD writer) drive is all that's really needed on the vast majority of systems.

I listed the NEC drive because the prices of optical drives have dropped so much in the last year to less than $40US (shipped) and because this model is, by far, the most popular model. I have never seen any other item sold at Newegg.com with so many positive reviews.