Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Motorola Razor V3i

• Please log in to reply

bigdog1100

bigdog1100

• PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
I am not sure where to write, so I decided to write here.

My dad got himself a Razor V3i phone. Out of five computers (four with windows XP and one 98) only once did the motorolla applicatoin "saw" the phone and could connect to it. All other times there was no connection. In fact, in the device manager the phone get's its own yellow questionmark folder with questionmark hardware profile as Motorolla modem (not unknown). After driver update, it got placed into modems section. We did try to turn off all other modem devices, virus and firewall and antimalware stuff. I even installed software once in safe mode. I also tryed troubleshooting according to motorolla's web-site. Nothing helped. We think the phone may be damaged. We are about to exchange the phone, since this is not acceptible. Maybe someone knows what to do? We did update, ETC. Nothing helped. :whistling:

Edited by bigdog1100, 30 May 2006 - 02:30 PM.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
If you have that many PCs and it works for none of them its probably a naffed phone, my vanilla v3 has never had that prob and ive never heard any of my friends v3s having that prob. If its still in warranty its farily easy to get them replaced for a new one.

Gamerlicious

Gamerlicious

• PipPip
  • 99 posts
The v3 Razr is garbage anyway. Get a different phone entirely. I work for a company that refurbishes cell phones. Out of all the phones we get the Razr is by far the most problematic. In fact Motorola in general is pretty low quality stuff. I suggest Samsung or LG.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Ive never seen a problem with them in people actually with the, although they areoutragousely popular, its still my favourite phone on the markets because its simple, small and for everyone i know with one very reliable. On the other hand i hear bad things about LGs, samsung are pretty decent but styling wise and simlicity the motorola is better.

Although i have heard the US models had some firmware probs with the US phone network but they seem to be fixed. You can also be assured that the quality of compnents is high because the manufacturiong cost for top of the range razr is over $1000 even the bog standard ones are $450 a piece to make phone companies sell them for a loss which is significant, especially given there low cost now a standard razr is £60-70 ALOT cheaper than an equaivalent and to me not as good at all LG, samsong or sony, my sister has an equivalent(little bit more actually) samsung and its not as good quality just by looking at it all together cheaper parts in its manufacturer and build quality isnt quite as good either.

bigdog1100

bigdog1100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
That's what we thought. My dad is going to get a replacement today. It is not Just V3 original model, it is v3i. I am sure they worked some bugs out of it.

I am a Nokia person myself. My 6310i black and gold baby never had any problems. My next one is 8801, when it gets a bit cheaper. :whistling:

Thank you.

Gamerlicious

Gamerlicious

• PipPip
  • 99 posts
A vanilla V3 costs about $300 to produce. I thought it was funny when I was watching tv the other day I saw a commercial for Verizon selling Razrs for $80. I was surprised how cheap it was. Then about 10 minutes later I saw a Cingular commercial that offered the Razr for $70. Hmm, even cheaper than Verizon. A couple minutes later I saw a Cellular One commercial selling the Razr for $50. Now that is quite a deal. But I also hear that Cellular One is going to stop carrying Motorola completely. I don't know if that's true or not, just what I heard at work.

bigdog1100

bigdog1100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Hello. We exchanged the phone, it helped somewhat, but the real issue was something else. Even though we got more goodies with replacement phone :blink:

Here's solution: PLug in the phone to the computer, then turn the computer on, the run the application. Looks like computer recognizes the phone as a permanent modem and needs to see it before Windows load completely. So, this topic is now complete, and can be closed. Thank you. :whistling: