Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Desktop won't refresh when...

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I couldnt find this when i searched, soo......

Basically, I'll put a burnt disk in and try to copy the files. For whatever reason, some of the data on the disk is corrupt and windows can't read or copy it and the rest on the disk so stops responding.

When the message appears to shut down the program thats not responding, i really have no choice but to click yes so it will go away. After selecting this, the entire desktop ( icons, taskbar, quicklaunch menu and start bar) dissapear completely leaving only my background picture and nothing else showing.

This is the fun part. Even if i try something like [start+D], [start], etc. I cannot get the icons to reappear. I can [alt-ctrl+ delete] and get that menu, but it doesn't help except for shutting down the system ( If i hit switch users and just come back to the account im in, its the same. If i log out through this, it just flickers but remains with the background and then i have to manually reboot.) Before, the desktop would only dissapear for a moment before refreshing itself and resuming normal function.

Any ideas (other than get a better burner kekeke) ?

Edit: I'll check back with this late tonight after work . any brainstorming on solutions is welcome!

Edited by katt_85, 30 May 2006 - 02:50 PM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This isn't unique to Windows XP, Windows 98 was very good on doing this on a daily basis too when you deleted too many files in one go. Windows has never been all that graceful when faced with something unexpected, such as being unable to read a CD or being unable to do what it wanted to do when it wanted to do it.

The solution when this happens in XP is to simply do CTRL+ALT+DEL and go to File -> New Task (Run). In the box, type "Explorer" (no quotes). This should restore the desktop and the icons, however quite a few of the icons in the system tray will probably be missing depending on the program.