Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Disk Mirroring

• Please log in to reply

A. J.

A. J.

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I am trying to mirror my system drive to a another drive so that I can have some type of fault tolerance as this machine will be across the country and I need for it to run as seemlessly as possible. The option to "add Mirror" is grey'd out in Disk Administrator. Is this option available in Windows XP? If not, what other options do you suggest?

AJ

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This option is only available in XP Professional and isn't available in XP Home.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I'm guessing this is on the windows 2003 server?

First, have you converted your disks to dynamic disks? If so, is there enough unallocated space on a second dynamic disk?

A. J.

A. J.

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I guess I should have been more specific. The OS is XP PRO. Not sure y the option is grey'd out. The 2 HD's are on different IDE channels. The system partition is the C drive and I want to take the other drive and mirror it. It will not be doing any great writing or reading so that is not a concern. I just want a fault tolerance solution for my PC in California. My only other option is to make a bootable DVD and throw an image of the system on it. At least this will give me a disaster recovery option. Any other Idea's?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts

First, have you converted your disks to dynamic disks? If so, is there enough unallocated space on a second dynamic disk?

(for that matter, why are you listing windows 2k3 server in your profile)