Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Don't Understand Ubuntu partitioner

• Please log in to reply

Josiah

Josiah

• PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
I partitioned my disc so i have:

/media/hda1 for windows and
/media/hda2 a blank fat32 partition i created for Ubuntu

in the middle of the Ubuntu instal (which this is my first time) i had to use their partitioner, because I want to use the hda2 partition for ubuntu i don't want to change the others but i don't know how to select the hda2 partition. i tried to change the hda2 to just "/" but that did nothing...so what do I have to do to select my hda two partition and continue the instal.

note: both partitions are marked with a smile face and hda1 has a powerbolt right befor the smile...i don't want to hurt windows 98...

thanks for any help in my efferts to get into linux

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Most Linux distros don't run off a FAT32 filesystem. So, you might need to delete that partition and create a new partition for Ubuntu. Let the install process create it.

I would also suggest creating a /boot partition (not required, but can be nice). Also a swap partition of around 512k-1Mb. Depending on the size of your disk, I would create the root partition of around 4-6Gb and the rest for /home, instead of one large partition (I would do the same for Windoze too). If the disk is really large, I would break it up more.

Josiah

Josiah

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
I exited the ubuntu install and decided it was too much for me i am now looking at Mepis