Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows ME problem

• Please log in to reply

mhsbassoondude

mhsbassoondude

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Okay, i did some searching, but not much because my computer wont work and this is a library computer and i have a really limited time. So if this is a really obvious question, i apologize.

Anyway. I have a computer running on windows ME. I was playing a song in Quickscore MIDI edition and the song froze. I tried escape and ctrl-alt-delete, and everything else i could think of, but it wouldnt budge, so i left it go, hoping it would unfreeze.

so i came back and it was still stuck so (gulp) i turned it off. Without shutting it down, i just hit the switch.

then i went to turn it back on (it was a good song) and a screen said error finding the system registry or something and had 4 options. Normal, Safemode, and 2 other things that i cant remember because my computer is about a mile away and i didnt think to write it down. So i tried safe mode. It wont start. I left it for about 2 hours and it stayed and i tried other things, but nothing works.

What should i do. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi mhsbassoondude...

Download this Win98SE Bootdisk and save it somewhere you'll remember. Double click on the downloaded file and put a new floppy in the floppy drive when prompted to do so by the application. This will create a startup disk to use on the broken machine.

Start the broken machine with the startup disk in the drive...it should boot to the floppy. At the options screen, press Shift + F5 to go to command prompt (A:\). At the A:\ prompt, type c: and press "Enter". At the C:\ prompt, type windows\command\scanreg /restore (note the space after scanreg) and press "Enter".

This should bring up a screen containing 4 or 5 files. Use the arrow keys to select one of the files in the list...go down a couple, select it and press "Enter". This should load an earlier version of the registry and allow you to boot to the Windows ME installation.

wannabe1

mhsbassoondude

mhsbassoondude

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
ok, i just read this and i will try it. I will get back to you if or when it works.

mhsbassoondude

mhsbassoondude

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Yep, that did it. Thank you so much. There is no way i would have ever known what to do without this site. I was going to resort to wiping the hard drive and starting over, so you really saved me. :whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Glad to help! :whistling: