Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WIRELESS

• Please log in to reply

headwayne

headwayne

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
I get a lot of unsolicited advice to go "wireless". BUT nobody seems to want to let me know anything about it. Since I have gotten so much really good help and advice from you all, I thought I would ask for some direction about this topic. Where would be the best place to look for some good detailed info?
I also hear a lot of grumbling about interfering channels and wave lengths BUT I don't even know enough about it to decide if I am interested or if I would be expecting more from it than what it is intended to do.
I did a "search" on here and didn't come up with anything. Thought maybe there would be a Tutorial or something.
:whistling: I might not be in the right forum, even.
Thank you

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Yeh, wrong section, but what the heck. :whistling:

Personally, if you don't have a reason to go wireless, I wouldn't bother. If you have a laptop and wish the freedom to operate from any place in your home, then maybe. If you're talking about using a wireless keyboard and/or mouse, that's a personal preference and does give you some mobility.

I use Belkin's PCI card and router setup, but only because the cable modem is in one place with the tv and pc is in another room. As for problems, Belkin's setup has 11 channels to choose from if I have an interference problem. Most probably do. There is one that could be a problem for you. The cordless phone frequency of 2.4 GHz. If you have a cordless phone, just get the wireless system that does not operate on or near that frequency.

As for tutorials. I would Google for them and look at a few covering the latest standards. Or go to the different manufactuer's site and check out the specs. Walk into your favorite store and ask salesclerk's preferences. Just don't buy on what they say. Read the specs on the boxes after doing some research.

Probably missed something here, but which to buy or even to go wireless is up to you.

Ron

headwayne

headwayne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
Thank you for replying quickly. I tried the "google-thing" but not with brands. That is probably why I didn't come up with much.
Sorry about being in the wrong section. Some things, I am on the fence about where a question would belong.
ALWAYS get some usable results from the "Geeksters" :whistling: