Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Complete Overhaul

• Please log in to reply

DJ_Hellenic

DJ_Hellenic

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hey guys, I'm just considering right now of reformatting my cpu in order to start fresh, and also repair my windows.

Lately i've been having frequent errors about 'run a dll as an application'... but most importantly my taskbar error at startup. At startup, taskbar freezes completely, and i am no able to open any sort of application except for windows explorer. not even task manager will appear. then after about a good 10 minutes, everything i tried to click or open will instantaneously open all at once. its a real problem when you have to work right from boot up or a restart.
ive asked about this before, and done various malware scans and such, and its proven not to be malware as no staff member could find anything wrong with my cpu.

i currently possess an external hard drive, and have backed up my files that i would like to carry over. now is where you guys come in. to start fresh with my cpu and also repair windows, do you recommend that i reformat or just repair my windows somehow? im a little unclear as to the steps to take and what exactly to do.

i do infact have a restore dvd that has been included with my cpu, and it says it will reinstall windows, remove everything forom my hard drive and also reinstall my pre-installed software..

i would really appreciate it if one of you could perhaps guide me in this process.

much thanks :whistling:

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
well, if you have everything backed up, the easiest solution is to run the restore dvd that came with the PC....it will completely rewrite your disk so all the bad stuff will be gone.

Restore media like you describe do not simply reinstall windows, it creates a ib by bit copy of the original harddrive, so nothing survives, even viruses and malware.

You could visit the malware forum, though, follow the instructions, and they can get you back up and running like new without the hassle