Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Video cards

• Please log in to reply

Hector

Hector

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I just got a new pc, model hp pavilion a342n, i tryed up grading my video card cuz the one that came with it is very cheap, since a play alot of video games i tryed buying one,, wich i did,, a Geforce FX 5200 256mb agp 8x.
but then i tryed instaling it but it did not fit so i dident know what was going on
so i did some research i found out there is a difrent type of video cards which is called a Pci express video card, and a pci video card which i think i need because AGP video cards do not fit on my pc so im not sure which video card do i need and what is the difrences between pci express, and pci video

Can some one let me know what should i do?

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

Your computer does not have a apg slot you need a pci video card.
Your computer does not support pci express there is a differance between pci and pci express.
When you install your new card you will have to disable the onboard video.

Rick

groove18

groove18

• PipPip
  • 88 posts
pci express usually has two gaps on the insert of the board (ie the part that plugs into the socket) and the pci normal doesnt , you can get a pci graphics card but to be honest they are hard to find and not as reliable as agp versions which begs the question why on earth hp released a comp without agp hmmmmmmmm are they copying pakard bell ( a brit make) or gateway (giving people no chance of actually upgrading their hardware lol)

good luck mate