Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

GOT NEW MASTER HARD DRIVE OLD SLAVE WON'T WORK

• Please log in to reply

m5fromns

m5fromns

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Would it screw up the data on the disk if I were to create a small 8 MB partition and then delete it?

Advertisements

HaraldR

HaraldR

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
If you used a prog like Partition Magic the answer is No

I found some more ideas here Google:
Beginners Guides: Hard Drive Data Recovery

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
Booting can not be done from a Slave drive. The boot drive must be set to Master.

Yes, by all means try formatting the 160. Only the manufacturer knows what state the drive was left in leaving the factory.

Once you get the 160 working don't leave it on the same IDE channel (cable) as your optical drive. Optical drives operate at 33MHz and hard drives operate normally at 100MHz. The optical drive will slow down the operation of the hard drive to 33MHz.

m5fromns

m5fromns

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
WinCrazy - I appreciate you trying to help but clearly you are not paying attention to what is going on. I could easily format the 160 slave drive and have it work. But I have important files on it that I am trying to preserve. It worked fine before my old master crashed. If I formatted it (160) then it would work fine but I am trying to avoid that.

HaraldR

HaraldR

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
google:free file recovery: you may find a prog to help there.

Edited by HaraldR, 01 June 2006 - 11:57 AM.

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
Please excuse my confusion.

An explanation for the Slave 160 to not being able to be read is that it may have, somehow, been formatted or re-partitioned during the process of installing the OS on the new Master drive.

Another expalnation is that whatever killed your original Master also killed your Slave 160.

Can you try installing the 160 as a slave on another "known working" computer ?