Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Power Outtage!

• Please log in to reply

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
Recently, due to it being the first day everyone turns on their A/C, my house got hit with a surge (as did the rest of the neighborhood). When we finally got back power (maybe 10 minutes ago), I tried to restart my computer...nothing. No lights, no noises, nothing. I am a pessimist when it comes to my computer so I'm afraid something fried. Any tips of what I can try? I don't see any system lights on my mobo (ECS 945P-A).

Please help! I'd hate to see my PSU get fried after owning the thing for barely a third of a year :whistling:

Advertisements

HaraldR

HaraldR

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
Is power to monitor on?if yes
remove power lead from pc (count to 20)
re insert power lead
check power supply fuse. Located inside psu
Fuse OK? still no power
Check with Power Company for damages liability policy

computer_geek

computer_geek

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
When we last had a power outtage it was about a month ago and mine did the same it took almost 10 minutes to get it going again.

I couldn't figure out what was wrong with it.
Then once i press the button again it came back on.
it's really weird i even asked a couple of my friends about it and my one from who i ask for advice from all the time didn't know either.

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
Where would the Power Supply fuse be inside the PSU?

I've heard opening the PSU is a bad idea, is that true? I plan on calling tech support tomorrow but will avoid that if at all possible.

HaraldR

HaraldR

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
if you are not confident or if you are still under warranty then don't.

With power plug removed opening a psu is no different to removing side cover of pc.However there is usually a seal ovet the cover that if broken voids warranty' if that is an issue then leave it alone.

there is a fuse located inside psu on circuit board
some power supplies have overload protection and disconnecting power plug and waiting a wile can reset overload and reconnecting power can fix.

Having at least a plug in surge protector on the power point is good insurance.

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
I'm still under warranty so I won't open it. I have a power surge protector but we didn't have like a black out, we had a brown out. So instead of just cutting power, I'm wondering if the steadily decreasing amount of electricity caused the PSU to have to work harder or just do something strange and crap out :whistling:

My dads calling tech support when he gets home (I'll be at work) and hopefully I can send it to them, they'll replace it and get it back to me. If not, guess I'm PSU hunting :blink:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
check the surge protector...the fuse may have blown in it...try with a diff surge protector or maybe straight plugged into the wall

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
Already done that dsenette...the surge protector is fine, everything else plugged in (even with different config) still works. Tried straight into the wall...nothing.

I called tech support, got nothing, tried again, got nothing (got nothing = hold for too long) so my dad found this place close by that got great reviews for computer repair, so I'm heading there tomorrow.

Thanks everyone for the help!