Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Connecting Verizon modem/router to cable modem?

• Please log in to reply

drfathom

drfathom

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Greetings, all...Hope someone can help with this---it's somewhat urgent, and I'm rather new to networking.

We recently left Verizon DSL service in the dust (today, in fact) in favor of Comcast Cable access. It's working great on our main PC, since you ask. :whistling:

Now I have another problem. I could only afford one cable modem, but I need to be able to share the cable access with our second PC in the basement. We still have the Westell Versalink 327W modem/router from when we were on Verizon access, so that's what I have to work with.

A couple of theories for y'all to shoot holes in, heh...

1) Can I connect the Ethernet line coming from the cable modem to the Westell, then connect the Westell to BOTH computers with Ethernet lines from two of its other three Ethernet jacks?

2) Can I keep the main PC connected to the cable modem as-is AND connect the second PC to the cable modem by way of the USB ports (provided, of course, that I can find a USB line long enough)?

Any thoughts on this would be very helpful. We use both PCs to work online, so there is some urgency here lest we lose work time on the second one.

Thanks to all for your kind consideration---

Brian

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
....it's possible that your first option MIGHT work...i would doubt it as i don't think the modem/routers are designed to route that way...it might work...you could try it and see....i would however suggest going and getting an actual router though...i would be willing to speculate that you'll have less trouble with the situation...

for option two....i would think that that would be possible...if the modem has both ethernet AND usb ports..i would think that the modem would be able to differentiate between the two...of course you'd have to install the modem drivers on the second pc...but that shouldn't be hard

http://www.cablestog...=1502&sku=28104 there's a link for a 15 foot usb cable...if you need longer than that

there's a usb extender here that basically goes from usb to ethernet and back to usb that comes with a 150 foot cat5 cable http://www.cablestog...=1521&sku=39993

this one comes without the cable
http://www.cablestog...=1521&sku=29341