Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lap top HDD help

• Please log in to reply

kanman

kanman

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
I have a lap top hard drive connected to my desktop via an adapter cable.It recognizes it in the bios...but It doesent recognize the hard drive once the desk top has started windows...something is wrong ..If its repairable to the point I can retrieve info off of it or if it has to be sent off Ill do whatever i need to but would like to start with doing it myself.......what repair options should I start with. I just need to get about 3 gig worth of documents off of it and then reformat it and move on. any and all advice would be helpful....if you need any info on the laptop or its hdd or my desk top system let me know....both systems are windows xp pro the laptop hdd is a hitachi dk23da-40f. when I see it in the bios of my desktop im not sure its seeing it correctly...should I load it back into the laptop system and check the hard drive profile info ...cylinders sectors ect..and make sure its the same on the desktop....i dont know honestly where to start.....

thanks for any and all help

kanman

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
If you have the laptop handy it would be easier to see if it boots in the laptop. One toshiba 5 gig drive i have i could not get working in a desktop so for a lark i put it in a external HD enclosure i bought off Ebay and the dang thing works fine now. I use it to copy files from computers i'm reformatting and people want to save some of the data. Many times i have messed with used HD's that windows can not see. Most of the time i can fdisk and format the drive with a boot floppy to get windows to see the drive. Once in a while there is nothing i can do to make them work even tho there does not seem to be a problem with the drives.

SRX660

kanman

kanman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
It wouldnt work in the laptop...which is why i bought the adapter cable to try and see it as a slave drive on my desktop system ...but let me hook it all back up and try it again and Ill report what happens and then go from there...

thanks

kman

kanman

kanman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
it does absolutely nothing.....can you make a ASR floppy from another machine and use it or does it have to be made from the system in question...im assuming the later is the case...please help...lol thanks