Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cont. Refresh Problem

• Please log in to reply

bfodge

bfodge

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hey All,
Here's a new one for me. Everytime I open up my browser (IE 6, SP2), My homepage, www.comcast.net, won't completely load. It appears to me to be continuously refreshing every half a second or so, so the page never completely loads. Tried it on my other computer, and it loaded fine. If I click stop, and type in another address, all other addresses seem to work fine. I changed my home page address, and when I open up the browser, everything loads, and works fine. Then, when I try to navigate to comcast, the refreshing thing happens(only for that page). I've run all the anti-virus and malware protection stuff (cleanup, ad-aware, spybot, ewido, etc.) and come up with nothing. I did have a problem with Norton '04 and Live Update that I originally thought might have caused the problem. Live Update would download and install the update, but Norton would not recognize the update, and tell me I still needed to update. I contacted Symantec, and they don't offer support for '04 anymore, so I uninstalled it via Norton's online uninstall tool (as far as I could tell, the only way to do it). Now, no record of Norton on my computer, except Windows Security still tells me that Norton Antivirus is out of date, even though it is (as far as I can tell) removed, and that didn't solve the problem of the comcast page refreshing. I'm stumped.
Thanks for your input...

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Of course uninstalling Norton did not fix the problem. (Why does everyone immediately blame Norton for everything that goes wrong?)

Check your ad blocking software and your active X permissions. Reinstall Norton as soon as practical. Running with only an XP firewall is better than none, but not as good as having a reputable third party software. See the Security forums for recommendations.

Johanna

bfodge

bfodge

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I still have the problem with ad-blocking turned off, and Active X permissions are all fine. As far as for blaming Norton, it was only because the problem with Norton and with IE happened simultaneously. Otherwise, Norton has always been good to me. Thanks for your input. Norton is back and running.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
What version of Java are you running, and are permissions granted correctly?
http://www.javatester.org/version.html

Johanna

bfodge

bfodge

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
JAVA VERSION 1.4.2_05 from Sun Microsystems, Inc.

All Active X controls are enabled. If that isn't what you meant by permissions, you'll have to explain to me how to check them. Thanks for you time, I greatly appreciate it.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Active X and Java are two different things. Your Java is outdated and needs an update (it's painless). There are Java permissions in the same place you found the Active X ones. Make sure they are set correctly after you update the Java version. If you are still having trouble after the update, post back.

Johanna

bfodge

bfodge

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I'm now running Java ver. 1.5.0_7, as far as I can tell, all the Java permissions are correct, I also ran a test at Java's web site, and it reports Java as fully functional...

But still having the same problem.

Thanks again for you time and input.