Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Idle Processes

• Please log in to reply

Sahil Bajaj

Sahil Bajaj

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
I called up Microsofttech support for this problem,and all they said was they will call back :S

I noticed my laptopwas over heating, and it was running slow for some reason. I decided to do a complete tune up and stil the same problem. Ran a lot of scans but no malware or anything. Re-installed Windows, and still the same problem.

System idle processes is using up 99% of my CPU and sometimes if im lucky 98% Why is this happening and how can i stop it?

Centrino
1.7 GHz
1 GB Ram
Windows XP Home

Thanks,
Sahil

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
In Windows NT-based operating systems, the System Idle Process is, essentially, a counter which measures how much idle capacity the CPU has at any given time. Although it is not actually a process, SIP runs in the background and constantly monitors processing bandwidth, occupied memory and the Windows virtual paging file. System users can find it in the Windows Task Manager, under "SYSTEM"; however, it cannot be terminated.

Download and install Everest Home Edition

Run the programme, click + next to computer then sensor

Look on right temperatures and post them

Sahil Bajaj

Sahil Bajaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Sensor Type HDD

Temperatures
CPU 75 °C (167 °F)
Seagate ST9808210A 43 °C (109 °F)

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
THE CPU temperature is high, have you looked at using a laptop cooler

Sahil Bajaj

Sahil Bajaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
What is a laptop cooler? But why is it soo high?

I use it for basic purposes only, chatting, music, internet, etc.

I also have another problem which i think i know how to solve, but when i tried it it did not work.

If i plug in a USB drive or my iPod the little green arrow pops-up in the system tray. Hoever there is no drive in my computer and neither is there autoplay. I know that Windows can suspend these sometimes and we need to make a DWORD in the registry editor called "DisableSelectiveSuspend" and give it a decimal valuve of 1. However in the services section of the registry editor i do not have a folder titled "USB" and that is where the Microsoft website tells me i should make the entry. I do have "usbhub" and when i made it there and restarted, there was no change.

Sahil

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It should have worked using usbhubs

You could use device manager to click + next to usb controllers, right click each entry, click remove, confirm, reboot when all entries are removed. Windows will re-install them as it loads

Sahil Bajaj

Sahil Bajaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Ok I will try that, but what should i do about the system Idle Processes?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Nothing, because it is a record of what the CPU is not doing

Sahil Bajaj

Sahil Bajaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Lol, someties i just dont understand computers. How come it is using almost all of thr CPU resource when it is only recording what the CPU is NOT doing. But I guess i will just buy a fan to keep it cool.

I uninstalled of them,, and when I re-booted windows installed everything back, but there are still no icons for the USB nor does the auto-play come up. Any other suggestion?

Thanks,
Sahil

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
You really need to focus on that heat situation before worrying about anything else..75C is way too high and you are looking at a laptop replacement if you do not get it down.

You did not mention what kind of laptop

Turn off the PC and flip it over. Any vents clogged with dust? Look along the sides for an exhaust fan? Dust? Clean those out. Elevate your laptop by placing a 1-inch book on the back legs. Any improvement?

Your centrino temps should be about 45 C at startup and reach around 55 C during use

Do you hear your fans kicking on?

What is your comfort level on working with this thing? Most CPUs are not hard to get at in a laptop.

As for the usb, I do not think that the heat would cause that, but I wonder if the heat has damaged your laptop irrepairably.

Advertisements

Sahil Bajaj

Sahil Bajaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
What specs of the laptop do you want to know?

Company is "iball"
purchased about 8 months ago.
1.7 Ghz
1 GB DDR Ram
256 ATI RADEON 9700 MOBILITY
1 HD with a partition.
80 GB capacity , 62 GB free

And as for the thing about it being damaged from the heat, I think you are correct about it. Gerryf you are the one to whom i was speaking aout my non-fuctionaning keyboard, and it looks like the cable or the connectors was burnt because of the heat, i lifted the keypad to check this and noticed that problem. It is a good thing that is under warranty :whistling:

Ihave elevated the laptop, and checked the vents. I hear the fan almost immediately on start-up they are fairly loud, as i assume they are trying to lower the heat level. But what i cannot understand is why it is heating up soo much, and how come so fast :S

I thought maybe i was using too many processes or something, but i just cant determine what the problem is.

Any other suggestions before more damage is done?

Sahil

Sahil Bajaj

Sahil Bajaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Just re-checked the temperature and the HD temperature is now only 35, but the CPU is still persistant at 75 degrees. One of my friends was saying that it might be "over clocking" do you thins this could have occured when my system was infected which craploads of malware, if so, how can i confirm it, and how do i reverse it?

Sahil

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
laptops are extermely limited when it comes to overclocking. You need to either configure bios or swap jumpers--

I am sorry I lost track of you....I've got lots of threads going (too many, really).

If I were to guess, I would say the machine was inadequately designed, or the CPU heatsink was improperly installed.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
--what I mean is, it is not something you did or even the malware

those temps are obscenely hot.

The harddrive temp and CPU temp are unrelated

Sahil Bajaj

Sahil Bajaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
But this was only a problem since about 1-2 months ago, before that it was running superb. Any suggestions on what I can do?

Sahil