Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Linux

• Please log in to reply

J0hn

J0hn

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
So far it's been 2 days with linux. I'm growing a lot into it and enjoying every bit of it. Some of the commands are easy to get by. Some problems I have are compiling sources, but I get by it with time. Anyway, to my questions:

For security reasons. Is there a specific syntax command that I can type and execute to delete all of my logs in the terminal without destroying any file/program/folder/directories? Is there even a such file or directory that logs every key stroke I type in the terminal? If so, where can I find that?

If you ask why I asked this question?

Because I'm concerned about when logged in as user and when you want to gain root access to change or delete a directory, you have to type in the syntax "su" then the password to login as root.

The thing is, if there IS a such folder or file somewhere that logs your keystrokes in the terminal, I would like to know about it so that I can delete it or clear it at every terminal session without leaving a trace.

Advertisements

VMM VMX

VMM VMX

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
what's the problem?
you give this input to the program "su", not to the shell
by the way the sintax of the "command" is "su username" or "su"(this syntax assumes that username=root)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
to my knowledge...linux doesn't keep a running log of what you type in the terminal...if that was the case...you'd be able to pull up the last command typed after closing the terminal and opening a new one....there's no reason for it to log that info...as tha twould end but being a pretty sizable log file