Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Thinking About Buying World Of Warcraft

• Please log in to reply

BARROS

BARROS

• PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
Hello,

I am thinking about purchasing World Of Warcraft very shortly but I need some people to tell me some stuff about it.

Also, how do you update the game? Is there a feature in the game that allows you to update ?

:whistling:

Advertisements

mrtypr

mrtypr

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
every time a patch is due to come, when you start the game it automatically prompts you to download the patch. It downloads, then extracts then it automatically restarts the game then you play it

BARROS

BARROS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
OK, cheers for the update info :whistling:

Can you send me a screenshot of the main menu of the game from your computer
(I have seen all the ones on google lol :blink: )

Cheers

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
World of Warcraft Review:

Graphics 9/10 - The cartooney graphics are novel and the effects (spells) are phenomenal. At some points though (like after playing F.E.A.R.) I expect enemies to be intricatly detailed but no...just...big, and colorful.
Gameplay 8/10 - I clocked over 300 hours in a 2.5 month period. Give yourself a lot of time to play because this game is very fun (on the right servers with the right people). The problem comes with the fact that there are a ton of "Kill 15 of these" or "Collect 10 of these" quests, which get boring and repetetive.
Sound 7/10 - After a while, the repeating jokes, and sound effects get tiresome, but at first are comical and the music is great.

Total 8/10 - For $15 a month it's totally worth it. I may reinstall it soon! I would play on RP serviers (role playing) because they aren't filled with "iM 1337 aNd pwn3d joo n00B!" people in the PvP servers. Highly recommended.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts

For $15 a month

A Month thats extortion. I will never pay for any games online play because A its not neccesary even on a large scale advertising can more than pay for servers and B people usually form clans anyway to pay for good servers so it works out very cheap.

Update wise you should never have to pay, they are oblidged to fix bugs in software if they want a long upgrade path charge more in the first place. Its a scam the $15 a month is almost pure profit for them because of the low price of servers these days and even paying the staff because of the number of players doesnt take alot out of that.

Games that build in advertising and product placement are the way fordward, a coke can lying on the ground instead of generic looks like coke makes a difference. Adverts for say a real herbalist next to an apothecary in an rpg would add realism. You shouldnt have to pay per play its just not the way the industry is supposed to work.

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
You seem to me like one of those whiners who "is against the establishment." At my job, to make $15 I work maybe an hour and a half. That's for a months worth of play. That's pocket change. To be honest, I hate people like you who are like "the industry shouldn't have to be paid monthly with all the money their making." It's $15 freakin' bucks!

Real advertisements in games are annoying, they take away the fact that 'this is a game not real life.' I don't want to see Bob's Pot Shop advertisements next to my favorite herbalist in WoW.

For a month of play, $15 feels like a steal. The game is so fun that you don't care that you've been so-called "cheated" out of almost $20. The fun factor outweighs that "hefty" price.

EDIT: Definition of extort: To wrest from an unwilling person by physical force, menace, duress, torture, or any undue or illegal exercise of power or ingenuity; to wrench away (from); to tear away; to wring (from); to exact; as, to extort contributions from the vanquished; to extort confessions of guilt; to extort a promise; to extort payment of a debt.

WoW, extortion? I think not...nobody's come to my house twisting my arm :whistling:

Edited by BlackPandemic, 01 June 2006 - 11:58 AM.

BARROS

BARROS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
Here in Scotland, you can buy a Time Card which costs around £20 which gives you 60 days of pre=paid gaming.

There is the option of paying by credit card or by Time Card right? :whistling:

You can choose to pay by the Time Card all the time can't you?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Its just rubbish to have to pay anything at all after you have allready purchased the product itself, im not againt the establishment im pretty firmly with the establishment in most aspects of my life. but £120 for a year of playing a game on top of the £30 to buy it is rubbish.

Talking numbers here 1,260,000,000 USD per year just on subscriptions to the game and considering other MMOs with fewer players manage not only to make up development costs AND run servers while still making a profit, its not alot for most people but its still money you shouldnt have to pay. And think about it is WoWs servers and patches look like they take over a billion dollars a year to run, thats more than alot of countries total wealth.

Its also a new game every couple of months if you think about it that way or another Gb of ram, new gfx card.

Im a stingy bugger i dont like things that dont represemt fair value as a principle, big list of things i dont like.

mrtypr

mrtypr

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Here in Scotland, you can buy a Time Card which costs around £20 which gives you 60 days of pre=paid gaming.

There is the option of paying by credit card or by Time Card right? :whistling:

You can choose to pay by the Time Card all the time can't you?

ye man, you can subscribe a to a 3 month payment 6 or yearly payment i think via credit card and it gets cheaper the longer the subscription. Or you can just pay manually by the month with a game card

Dr.Shimo

Dr.Shimo

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
yer i was gonna buy the game but i am fine with guild wars. WoW could be a better game but i don't make tht kinda money to make the payments...

Advertisements

mk1james

mk1james

• PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
i have played guild warz and the prob wid it that u can only get upto lvl 20 and wow just has loads more stuff to do and buy and i would say the quest r a lot better!

Gamerlicious

Gamerlicious

• PipPip
  • 99 posts
I play WoW, and I gladly fork over $15 a month to do so. But I have to admit, Blizzard is making a killing. They have over 5 million subscribers paying $15 monthly. So just in monthly fees they pull in $75,000,000 a month! Patching and server mantainence does not cost 75 million dollars a month. Not to mention that the game itself costs $50. If they have 5 million subscribers currently, there are a lot more that have quit playing over time. I'm just making a wild guess that the game has sold over 10 million copies. So $50 times 10 million is $500,000,000. With the length of time this game has been out I'm going to guess that they've profited over 1 billion dollars. But again that's just a guess. Now what I don't understand is with all that money, why can't they afford some stable servers? Blizzard talks about maintenance and upgrading equipment all the time. Yet I still get lag, disconnections, server shutdowns, and glitches and bugs in the game. There are some bugs in the game that have been there since day one and still aren't fixed.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Lol they are scamming millions of people out of hundreds of millions for a service they could easily pay for on the sticker price of the original game, they could afford upgrades to have the worlds fastest servers, but will they, NO because people are still paying to play on the bog standard old servers they have allready.

Chibi Ferret God

Chibi Ferret God

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Actually, Blizzard is enlisting a whole bunch of new servers, with help from hardware developers over at AT&T. Also, the $15 a month goes to pay all the people who keep the game running smoothly, and refunding victims of account-theft and doing their best to keep a fun and friendly environment. Also, this money pays the developers who keep brainstorming new ideas (Like the new Naxx instance being implimented in the 1.11 patch) and characters.

mrtypr

mrtypr

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
who really cares about the political side of it, its a game, if you like a game and can afford to pay 15 bucks a month then play it. If you cant handle it dont play lol