Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't get rid of Hidden Partition

• Please log in to reply

Josiah

Josiah

• PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
When Partitioning I could only make a:
windows partition
boot partition
swap partition
root partition

I still needed to make a home so I left the disc and came back. When I came back I saw the 4 gb I left had turned to a hidden partition and I couldn't work with it in qtpartition...when I looked it up on the web I saw something about you can only make 4 partitions so if I delete a partition will I be able to format the free space? If not how can i format a hidden partition? and how do I make more than 4 partitions? Do I make a Partition in a Partition?

I want to get rid of the hidden space and format it...

thanks for all the help you guys havve given me!

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
What are you using? What operating system?

If you get/download the Knoppix Live CD, you can use fdisk to partition the disk and do whatever you want (assuming you know what to do). The normal program I use is "fdisk".

Because the partition is M$ based, there are limits. One of those limits is a 4 primary partition limit, so to get more than that you need to create an extended partition. Windoze will not allow more than one primary partition and it will not allow you to create other partitions.

One of the 4 primary partitions needs to be an extended partition, if you want more filesystems.

Josiah

Josiah

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
I don't think i made myself clear. I am using a knoppix live cd and qtparted to partition up the hard drive and make room for linux...in the prossess not knowing I could only make 4 partitions I left about 1/4 of my 12gb disc unpartitioned. now when I go into qtparted it says it is hidden and it can't do any deleting, formating or resizing to the hidden partition...I want to be able to reformat the hidden partition into a /home partition but i can't do anything with it...what should i do? I don't want to erase anything on the windows partition.

thanks

do i need to post a screenshot of qtparted?

Josiah

Josiah

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
Here is a Pic of qtparted with my drive I want to partition the hidden one and save the windows onee. but now the hidden one can't be edited and i don't know why.

I have attach the pic if it'll help anyone with what i am saying

thanks

snapshot1.png

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
It is hard to read the information on the image, but it looks like the hidden amount is part of the unallocated space, which can not be allocated unless you delete on of the partitions.

What I would suggest is to remove the Linux partitions. Create a primary partition of 100Mb for /boot, create a root partition and then create an extended partition of the remaining space. Then you should be able to create more partitions under the extended partition. I can tell you how to do this with fdisk, if you have trouble with qtparted.

Josiah

Josiah

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
so can i delete all of the space except windows and than it will become un hidden?

It won't let me do any thing with that partition

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
If there is no data on the other partitions, then you can remove them without a problem. I suspect if you remove partition #4, the hidden one may go away.

The last partition does not really seem to be a real partition, just the remaining space.

VMM VMX

VMM VMX

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
note that you cannot delete mounted partitions.

if you delete the 4th partition you'll lose the data in it.

you can try to enlarge the / partition, if you have it

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts

note that you cannot delete mounted partitions.

if you delete the 4th partition you'll lose the data in it.

you can try to enlarge the / partition, if you have it

Josiah is booting the machine from a Knoppix Live CD and also in looking at the jpg, which was attached, I see what I missed before and that there is no "/" partition, but instead a "/root" partition, whic indicates that the install has not yet happened. The important data is on the Windoze partition, not the Linux partition, based on what was said in this thread.

Due to this and the desire to have additional partitions, it would be best to re-do the partitions.

FYI (for others), often people talk of the "root" partition, which is "/", not "/root".

Josiah

Josiah

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
Your correct I havn't succesfully installed linux i just created those myself...i will try what you guys recremended tonight or tomarrow and see if it works

thanks

Josiah

Josiah

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
sorry it took so long to reply but i have Mepis running!!!