Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP unmountable_boot_volume

• Please log in to reply

kate_e_did

kate_e_did

• Pip
  • 3 posts
HI I need some advice and I need oit in a way I can understand :blink:

My daughter was using our 18 month old Dell XP home edition with Symentec Norton AntiVirus 2005 running (protecting the computer) She clicked on a cats 4 screen saver in the screensaver menu and it started running. She ctrl/alt/deleted to stop it and the computer went to the blue screen of death :whistling:. We tried to reboot, tried reboot in safe mode(F8), tried reboot with F12 to run diognostics....everything throws us back to the same screen.
"Problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
Unmountable_boot_volume"

It goes on to list if this is the first time you are seeing this .....do these things......we did and still the same screen comes up.....we can't seem to get to anything but this BSOD.

Technical information:
*** STOP: 0x000000ED (0X87352838,0XC0000006, 0X00000000, 0X00000000

Figuring something was corrupted we tried to wipe and reinstall....no go.

"Windows XP Home Edition Set up
set up did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer.
Make sude any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected to your computer, and that any disk-related hardware configuration is correct. This may involve running a manifacturer - supplied diognostic or setup program. Setup cannot continue. To quit setup press F3"

" Drive 0: WDC WD1600JD- 75HBB0- FAIL Return code:7
Drive 1: no device
Drive 2: no device
Drive 3: no device
Drive 4: samsung DVD-Rom SD-616E Diognostic not supported
Drive 5: no device "

Thinking we needed a new disk drive we bought one at Best Buy...the interface is not the same....grrr

I am open to any suggestions that might help me understand how to get this back to running. No new programs were installed lately. No warning of impending doom....?????

Thank you and I am happy to provide any info needed just tell me how to fine it :help: We appreciate the time you take to help us. Kate

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Welcome Kate,

First, let me say that is one of the better first postings I have read in several days. You provided the situation before something happened, what happened that may have caused the error, what you have triedm and then provided complete error information

Bravo! :whistling:

This is more interesting thatn you might guess

By your decription of what happened, it screams file system corruption

and

*** STOP: 0x000000ED

is often associated with that

However, the error paramters usually require that

(0X87352838,0XC0000006, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)

be 0x0000032 for that to be the case

What is the make and model of your PC?

Where did you run the windows setup from...a windows xp disk? Did it come the pc or was it seperate?

kate_e_did

kate_e_did

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
The computer is a Dell Dimension 8400 (pent 4)

We ran the diog from the disk that came with the computer. My 14yr old son was going to wipe it as he has done this with his older Dell so I am not sure..... He has a set of boot disks (floppy) and also all the disks that came with the computer. Does this help any?

I'll check with him when he gets home in a couple of hours and get a diffinitive answer.

I brought up the computer to double checked the 06 number to be sure and it is 06 :blink: LOL I thought this was going to be something common and uninteresting with a copy paste solution....I'm not sure if its good to be interesting in this case. :whistling:

Edited by kate_e_did, 31 May 2006 - 10:52 AM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
ok, I did some more checking around in the meantime, and it does indeed look like the drive is dead

the dell diagnostic app reads an error code seven a generic hardware failure

Your harddrive according to original system specs is a sata 160gb drive, so you will need an sata1 drive to replace it

Do you know if it is under warranty

on the back of the machine is a little metal plate with a j code--punch it in here

http://support.dell....c=us&l=en&s=gen

If under warranty, depending on the warranty, they will bring in a new drive and replace it, and install with an OS, but you will lose all your data (if the drive is still recoverable) -- they take the drive with them

If it is not under warranty, you can purchase your own drive and install using a recovery disk supplied by dell, or the windows media if they supplied it--since this dell came with a image reinstall on a hidden partition, i would be surprised if they provided media for reinstalling

You may still be able to recover the data from this drive--it is very much a cross your finders and pray kind of deal. It appears the motherboard on this system came with 4 sata controller ports (I say appear because the dell manual I downloaded is simply a drawing)

Once your system is up and running again with a new drive, you can try to hook up the old drive to a second cable. You do not need to mount the bad drive...just plug it in and put it on a book or something that is not metal

Can you feel it vibrate or spin up?

Sometimes, they will come back to life shortly. I think this is a controller issue, rather than seized disc. If you do not feel the drive spin up, place the drive in a freezer bag and put it in the freezer for two hours. Then pull the drive from the bag and re-connect and boot your pc before it cools down....sometimes, this will work for a boot or two

kate_e_did

kate_e_did

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
gerryf Thank you, I looked up the number with your link and it is out of warranty but its a great link as it tells us everything about the original system configuration.....like it came with part number U4001 HARD DRIVE, 160GB, Serial ATA, 8MB, 7.2K, WD-XL80 ....whatever that means LOL. It should help me when looking for the new hard drive...plus knowing I need a an sata1 drive ......right? :whistling:
Thank you for your help!

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
yes, that is what you need...the real issue is media....they split your desktop right down the middle....at a certain point, they only supplied the windows os install on a hidden partition

On the rest, they had a pacakge of CDs