Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

problem with booting XP

• Please log in to reply

slava

slava

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Please help!! Its vitally important.

I was changing capacity of partition in Windows, but inerrupted it unexpectedly. When I tryed to boot icomputer started to do it repeatedly. Wented to Recovery console, but there received this message: "Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer" .

AMD Athlon 3000+
Mobo - I think is K8Triton series( GA-k8VM800M; VIA-k8M800 chipset); AGP 8X
So, I need help. Some people are saying that I have to install SCSI drives. Is it true? If is then what kind, where I can get them.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you need to press f6 right at the beginning when it asks for drivers for scsi controllers in the lower right hand corner

Your drivers need to be on a floppy disk, as windows xp isntall will not read a cd

The drivers came with the motherboard. If no floppy diskw as supplied, there is usually a utility on the Driver CD to make a floppy

slava

slava

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Yes Iknow, but cant someone say in which folder I can get needed files.
I have looked in drivers, but then I insert floppy, it comes out "txtsetup.oem is needed". Where I can get all files which are needed for normal booting PC.

Or can it be problem caused by rebuilding partition?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
how did you rebuidl the partition? You probably completely killed your Windows install

Did you look on the cd that game with the motherboard for SATA drivers? There is almost always a utility these days to make a driver floppy

slava

slava

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Can't you say what name could it have?

I don't see there nothink . Could it be named setup.exe?

And maybe there is possibility to get that files from internet?

Oh, Could I make "Windows automated System recovery disk" on other computer and would it be good for mine?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you can get them on line, but you need to know what revision you
have (usually printed on the motherboard)

http://www.gigabyte....ord=GA-k8VM800M

there is no setup utility with these, so you will have to create your floppy manually

the cd is easier, and the instructions are in the manual, on page 69

slava

slava

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Thanks for adress where I can get driver, BUT...

I have written one file to floppy(1-st in the list) My revision is 1, i think, because in manul is written Rev.1001.
When rebooted computer from CD and pressed F6 it appeared that it can't find "txtsetup.oem". And how can be written files that have more than 6MB to the floppy(other files in the list).

I can't understand this stuff!!! Maybe someone could be so generous and write to my problem as full manual as it is possible. Including explanation about all files that I need(like txtsetup.oem and others).

I would really appreciate it. Because it is vitally important to me. :whistling:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
You seem adamant about not following instructions. If you insist on doing it the hard way and not using the motherboard cd, then you must absolutely follow the instructions or you will fail

You also did not answer my question about resizing your partition---how did you do it? With what? I can not help you if you refuse to answer my questions. At the moment, I do not know if we are trying to reinstall windows or recover your files

First

Rev 1001 is the revision of your MANUAL

I said the revision number is printed on your motherboard. PLEASE OPEN YOUR CASE AND LOOK FOR REV: ??????

It is VITALLY IMPORTANT that you pick the right one and not GUESS. They may use the same controller, they may not, but since the version changed, that means significant alterations were made

You will need to download the correct driver, which includes something like this in the title

Preinstall driver, press F6 during Windows setup

Once downloaded, you will have a file called

motherboard_driver_raid_via_8237_bootdisk_2kxp.exe

Double click it and say yes as it creates a folder heirarcy that includes one file (txtsetup.oem) and two folders (amd64 and i386)

Get a blank floppy

copy the folders and file to the blank floppy.

Put this floppy in new computer

When windows setup ask you to press f6, press f6 and windows setup should find the files and folders needed

slava

slava

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Ok!
If you insist of doing it your way,I'll see in my computer. And answer your question about resizeing partition.
If I remember correct it was Partition Magic 8--> I resized it, applyed changes and computer rebooted. --> It started working in blue screen. Suddenly I pushed buttom and interrupted the process unexpectedly. --> Restarted computer and here started my problems.

Actually I have an idea about what might happen--> Once i have tried to instal Ubuntu, there was some problems and I deleted its partitions after what Windows refused to boot in. Reinstalled Ubuntu and all started to work normally. So, maybe now is the same when booting files(some people told me thet here was the problem that time) is missed or deleted.

slava

slava

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Oh, I have get it !

Its exe file which creates those folders what I need? But now I only have Fedora Core 2 - I think it doesn't run exe files, isn't it true!

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
ugh,

I think you very likely killed your windows partition....can you mount it in fedora? Does it still exist?

What is the goal here?

As for that file, yes, it is a dos executable, and will need to be run within a windows environment

slava

slava

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Whell, you know.
I have watched on my mobo, there are so many numbers, but near my mobo version isn't written what version is it. I only have CD called"VIA chipsets Motherboard Utilities CD VUCD Ver.2.41"Could it be real version of mobo?

Abaut partotion visebility. I have odly Win XP Live Cd. When I booted from It I saw NTFS partition, but when tried to acces, it sad that it isn't possible. When I was installing Linux, I also saw that partition. I don't know how acces it from Linux. Maybe you could tell me that(how mount it).

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Sounds like it is already gone...

My gut tells me this is a little over your head, but here is a program that MAY recover the partition, and then we can just stop right here...otherwise we are simply going to have to reinstall windows and recreate the partition

http://www.cgsecurit...g/wiki/TestDisk

slava

slava

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
You know, I am goog student, if know what exactly to do!

Does that programm works on Linux, because you should understand that- if I am writtening to you an having problems wit XP ?

Oh, I have usked one person tu execute those files from link that you gaved to me. He said thet he didn't receved any files! Is it possible or maybe them are hiddening somewhere in the system. He also sayed that he received something like this"Need of lecence".

slava

slava

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Oh!
You said thet otherwise we could simply reinstall Windows!

I have tried, but nothing!!!!!!! It is saying that I need some drivers(I heve wriiten error in the topic of this forum)