Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

problem with booting XP

• Please log in to reply

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
No, you are not getting me...sorry. I will mak you a deal. I will try to be more clear if you will try to be more clear ( no more pigeon english, leet speak, etc)

I changed strategies: Testdisk is a self-booting cd image that MAY be able to recover your partition

If that is not your desire, meaning you do not care about the old windows xp installation and are happy with re-installing windows, then we proceed with that.

However, it makes me VERY UNCOMFORTABLE you not knowing the revision of your motherboard.

Do you have the original box? It would be on there. It will be printed on the motheraboard somewhere with the model number, often between the PCI slots.

It appears that both revision use the same driver so it is probably ok to just go ahead

Simply go back to post 8, copy the files as described and insert the floppy in your drive....boot the computer, hit f6 when it asks, and windows setup should find the driver.

Advertisements

slava

slava

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I have installed TestDisk, but don't know how to start an application! I can't find file which starts it.
X-Executable file(is it ?)-then it doesn't work when I click twice on it!

slava

slava

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Whell, I have installed DiskTest and runned it in text mode. So, here are results-->

1) In first window when it completed scunning, appeared this line:

1 * HPFS-NTFS 0 1 1 15934 254 there is wriiten that(*=primary bootable)
It shows near Linux partitions what kind ( [/boot] ) it is, but near NTFS doesn't.

2) It shows that Structure is OK , but when I pressed P(list folder) it appeared only text " recompile with ntfs progs library". But when I did it with Linux partitions it showed me files lis.

3)In Advanced mode (in primary Menu) when I choosed option Boot near NTFS, it appeared :

Boot sector=OK
beckup bootsector= Bad
Sectors are not identical
"A valid NTFS Sector must be present in order to acces any data, eaven if the partition is notbootable"

3) So, in my mind it is that partition present there, but I cant access it. I dont know if all dates are erased. And I also(how wrote above) can't instal new Win XP-need of drivers[ still have previously described problem]

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I am aware of that....I had pretty much already given up on that partition, but apparantly you have not.

Did you try the REBUILD BS function?

In my last post, the last paragraph, I explained how to make the driver disk (actually, referred to previous post)

DID YOU EVER DO THAT?

slava

slava

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
If you are speaking about resizeing partitions-I have done it once in Partitionm Magic(all was OK).

So, what you actually can say about my previously post + keaping in mind this problem-->
1) I unpacked that files (bootdisk 2kxp), wrote them to blank floppy, restarted computer, pressed F6
2) Pressed S to specify additional adapters.
3)it appeared menu with 3 articles( WinXP/SRV2003; Win2K; WinNT),I choosed first option.
4)then appeared on blue screen"Setup will load the following mass storage device[XP]" wit 2 options S=Specify and ENTER=CONTINUE, I pressed Enter.
5) Started windows blue screen with options: ENTER=to setup XP now and R=to repair installation.
When I choosed to reinstall XP it seemed to be OK because appeared Warranty.[I tuped ESC to exit, because NEED TO RECOVER PARTITIONS AND SAVE ALL DATES] so here started most interesting things

1) computer restarted and I wanted to choose repair, but it appeared that I didn't installed drives(i thougt I had done it previously in step 3? )
2) I repeated all till step 4. And chosed Repair option.Appeared black screen with title Recovery Conxole.

HERE i HAVE SOME QUESTIONS ABOUT R CONSOLE
1) what I shold write instead [drive:]?
2)when I tried to option bootcfg /scan, it appeared "Failed to successfully scan disk for windows installations. This error may be caused by a corrupted file system, which would prevent bootconfg successfully scaning"

What exactly this mean , what we should or could do in this problem? Is it possible to keep my dates on HD. Why drivers didn't installed?

Sorry for long stories, but it is wreally important to me to restore my sytem !!!

slava

slava

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
PM[color=#FF0000]
Whell, yes-you are helping me .

Thanks for Disk Test=very useful utility
And thanks for explanation where to get drivers and what to do with them.\

But I still have problems, so hope on you and others(why they don't come) too!
You know how it is"One head is good, but two better :whistling: "

slava

slava

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hmm. Strange stuff!

NO ONE IS HELPING ME EXCEPT 1 PERSON. AND EAVEN HE STOPPED DOING IT!

NOW i'M STARTING TO THINK THAT IT IS STUPID FORUM BECAUSE OF PREVIOUSLY SAID!!!!!!!!!!

i'M HEVING MUCH MORE HELP IN OTHER FORUMS.

slava

slava

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
:whistling: :blink: :help:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
If you're having much more help in other forums, how come your issue is not solved?

Sorry, this is a busy forum and some things get lost. All we ask is a little patience, and if you get lost, a polite PM would be nice rather than having a hissy fit...

One problem here is that I/we cannot see what you see, so we do not know if you are doing it right. I will say it sounds like you are

I need to find a system with a raid controller to see if I can take some screen shots, but if you want that kind of help, you really out to be a little less rude