Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ViewSonic E70fb blanks out intermittently

• Please log in to reply

BillTanner

BillTanner

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have had this monitor for about 3 years. Just a few days ago, it suddenly started to go blank with a loud click, and then stay blank for 1 to 5 minutes. Then there is another click and it comes back on. During this time, nothing seems to trigger it back on, and the power LCD stays green. It's like something overheats and it clicks off, but I felt the case and nothing is hot, and no burning electrical smell. I have never had a problem with this monitor before. I have a GeForce 6800 card, and I am running Windows XP SP2. I have made sure I have the latest drivers from Nvidia.

One of the times when it was blanked out, I hooked it up to a laptop (I don't have another desktop machine handy) and shared the view, but the desktop monitor remained blank. When it clicked back to life, it displayed the laptop view as expected. Does this mean this monitor is screwed? Is there any way to be sure? A diagnostic tool?

Thanks for any advice!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
any time a CRT "clicks" or "pops"....it's not a good thing....they aren't supposed to make too many audible noises...some times you get that "hum" when y ou turn one on...but that can be listed as normal...ish..... if it clicks then the screen goes blank...then it's probably on it's way out

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
If this is a CRT, such a noise and action is, I believe, the flyback transformer, which is an expensize part. Basically it means that you need a new monitor as it is typically not worth it to fix it unless you can get used parts.

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
Don't automatically assume that the CRT is the problem.

Clicks in a CRT can also means that it has changed resolution, e.g., from 640 X 480 to 1024 X 768. My CRT does this normally.

Make sure to check out that the video adapter is not the one that is cutting out. If you can, try another video card with your display or hook the display up to another computer.

Also, wiggle each end of the video cable near the connectors to check if there is an intermittent broken wire in the cable.

BillTanner

BillTanner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thank you for the fast replies!

I did not know that about monitors. About a year ago, it started making a loud click or clunk when it went from the dektop to a game that was running full-screen. Nothing else seemed to happen, so I thought it was normal.

About an hour after I wrote this, it made a final loud clunking sound and it went dead for at least an hour. So I went out and bought a 20" LCD. Your posts will help support my case when I explain the cost to my wife tonight! :whistling:

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
These posts aren't going to keep your butt out of the fire... maybe you can plead insanity. :whistling: