Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

need advice!

• Please log in to reply

silencer.dot

silencer.dot

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
i was looking through power supplys since my recent one is only 400 watts and its awfuly loud i have to say. if i upgrade my power supply would it be a difference? and how do i know if the mobo can support the amount of watts?

i wonder is there any tutorial of changing pc cases? becuase im a noob and i never changed a pc case in my life (except unscrewing my mobo from my old computer)

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi. Here are some links to useful info that may answer your questions:
http://www.mechbgon.com/ there is a first time builders guide here! This should help you with your case questions.
http://www.hardforum...isplay.php?f=93 all kinds of info on power supplies, perhaps the best collection on the net. Read the sticky posts at the top of the forum.

Edited by austin_o, 31 May 2006 - 12:42 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
If youve uinscrewed the mobo and know how to change a drive then your covered for the new case. A new psu wont inprove performance but it might be quieter.

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
A 400 watt supply is enough for the majority of systems. If you are thinking of getting another supply then use this power supply calculator. My rule-of-thumb is to have a supply that can deliver about 1.5 times what the calculator says is the wattage used.

If you know how to solder and use a screwdriver you might consider replacing the power supply's fan. But, you need to know what speed the preset fan spins at and find a suitable replacement that spins somewhat slower. Pick a unit that has at least one ball bearing and install it blowing in the same direction as the original.

Tornel

Tornel

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
If you have a comp from a company like HP that makes their own motherboards you want to make sure they don't have their own custom connectors for the motherboard. I had an old Compaq and when I went to get a new power supply the connector had two more pins than most standard motherboards. Just thought I'd mention it before you go buying something you can't use.

silencer.dot

silencer.dot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

If youve uinscrewed the mobo and know how to change a drive then your covered for the new case. A new psu wont inprove performance but it might be quieter.

u mean a hard drive right? if i change cases would anything be effected ? like the bios, wires etc?

and i read the faqs that austin posted.. and i kinda dont really get it. but i didnt find anything that supports my questions: how do i know how much watts my mobo needs?

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
Use the Calculator, Luke. Don't let the Dark Side draw you in.