Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Linux

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

J0hn

J0hn

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
I made a post yesterday that's similar to this one. Today I came back, it was gone. I searched everywhere but couldn't find it. So I'm going to post it up again.

It's been 2 days with linux and I'm growing a lot into it. Some commands are easy to get by some are not. Some troubles I have right now are compiling sources, but I get by it with time. Anyway to my questions:

Is there a specific command that I can type to delete all of my logs/keystrokes at the terminal without destroying any files? Is there even a such file, folder, or directory that stores all keystrokes/syntax commands that I type at the terminal?

If you ask why I asked this question?

Because I'm concerned about the security. Take for example, when you're a user and you want to delete a file or directory, you have to login as root. In order for that to happen, you have to go into the terminal and type in the syntax command "su" then the password to get the rights. Where does that information go? Is it possible that maybe the information is stored somewhere in a file, folder, or directory? If not, then cool I guess.

The thing is, if there IS a such file or folder somewhere that stores every syntax command I type at the terminal, I would gladly like to know about it so that I can delete it or clear it up at every terminal session without leaving a trace behind.

I have read that linux is open source. So in a way, that tells me that there has to be a file somewhere that stores all the information I type at the terminal, right? No? :whistling:

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://www.geekstogo...opic=114900&hl= your original thread can be found here...it was in the same place you put it to begin with (i think...i don't see evidence that it was moved) if you ever lose track of a topic that you've started...or posted in...

click on "my controls" up at the top of the page and scroll down...on the left side you will see a section called "subscriptions" choose the "view topics" link and it will show you every topic that you're subscribed to (all the one's you've started or posted in within a given time frame)...from there you'll be able to get back into the original thread that you lost....also...unless you unticked the "enable email notification of replies" deal..you should be getting emails when someone replies to your threads...... to keep the place clean..i'm going to close this thread as you've already got some replies in the other...

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Point of clarification:

"Open source" means that the code for the software is not secret or proprietary.

http://www.opensourc.../definition.php

Johanna