Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Authentication takes forever

• Please log in to reply

Hogroll

Hogroll

• Pip
  • 8 posts
First off, I am on a laptop which is an AD domain member. When logging in, whether I am in the domain or at home, it takes well over one minute once I hit "enter" after typing in my password for my profile to come up. Once my password is entered, the cursor will disappear if I move it over the login window, as if it were in a "non-responding" state. I can login just fine on any other workstation or server without an issue, so I don't feel it is profile related. My desktop is only 12 MB, so I am not loading up very much.

Hardware = Dell Latitude D610, 1 GB ram, 1.86 GHz mobile pentium.

I have checked msconfig to see what is loading up, and I don't see anything mysterious, as well as HiJack this, (although I'm sure I could do some cleaning!). I believe this started to occur after I had tried using WindowBlinds, and subsequently removed it. There wasn't a clean uninstall, so I had to do some directed edits to directory and registry.

Once the system comes up, it seems to be running fine, although I could be wrong, and might be robbing myself of some performance.

Thoughts?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
ATTACH a hijackthis log so we can see what is running at startup

ATTACH

ATTACH

ATTACH

DO not POST

Hogroll

Hogroll

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Attached, please find my log as requested.

Attached Files

Edited by Hogroll, 31 May 2006 - 02:35 PM.

Hogroll

Hogroll

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I know we aren't supposed to "bump" ourselves back up, but I feel I am getting flushed out here.

Thought I would throw this back out to have some new eyes take a look at it. Has anybody ever experienced this?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
It is usually best to PM hte person who is helping you, but I can certainly understand your bump...I'd lost track of this one (as well as a few others)

I have a few questions

Clearly a work computer, have you talked with the IT people?

You are running two Antivirus programs...not usually a good idea.

When you say "My desktop is only 12 MB" what do you mean? Are these roaming profiles?

In C:\Documents and Settings\{profile} how large is ntuser.dat?

Hogroll

Hogroll

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks Gerry.

Next time I'll PM, I thought that might be rude and pushy :-)

So... my ntuser.dat file is 7.5 MB.

As far as talking to the IT people... that is me. Regarding the anti-virus, good find, where are you seeing that, I should only be running McAfee Enterprise, what else are you seeing??

This is not a roaming profile, it is local. I mentioned my desktop size, that is C:\Documents and Settings\{user}\Desktop directory. So, my thought was that it is not too big to be taking a long time to load up.

Thanks!

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
OK, well, that explains a little something....I was looking at two different things--one the file name, and one the folder name

McAfee started as mcafee, renamed itself Network Assocaites, then renamed itself McAfee again two and half years ago

So, sorry, you are not running two, but I wonder if all of those componants are behaving correctly?

7.5mb is large, but not obscenely large,,,I notice a very distinct slow down as the ntuser.dat file nears 10mb in size...but you could be experiencing that sooner

Since you are the it guy, I would begin by shutting down everything that begins at startup

Probably just use msconfig on this

start > run
msconfig
<enter>

selective startup and uncheck everything

If it logs in fine after that, we know it is one of those

If it does not, can you test this computer with a different logon?

Logon take as long?

What does event viewer show? I wonder if it is not a low level corruption of the current user profile file (ntuser.dat)

Hogroll

Hogroll

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Gerry...

Sorry to have taken so long to get back to you.

- Ran msconfig as requested. No change
- I can log on with a different account, takes just as long.
- I have looked through the event viewer, and see nothing abnormal.

Thoughts?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you have several settins with FILE MISSING in hijack...check those and hit fix

Let's rebuild your ip stack

start > run
cmd
<enter>

netsh int ip reset log.txt
<enter>

you do not happen to have a netware server on this domain, do you?

Hogroll

Hogroll

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Ok, I have completed the tasks as suggested. Still not seeing any improvement.\\

Nope, no Netware servers in any environment I go to.

Attached is my latest HiJackthis log file.

Attached Files

Hogroll

Hogroll

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Gerry... sorry, also attached is the log file from the stack rebuild.

~Casey

Attached Files

• Attached File  log.txt   6.82KB   291 downloads

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Can I get a hijackthis log from your other workstation?
Also, and this may sound odd, after you enter your username/password and hit enter, wait five seconds and hit enter a second time

does that speed up the process?

Do you have any harddrive indicator lights? Is there harddrive activity the entire time, or does it stop accessing the drive for any appreciable length of time?

Also
start > run, type
eventvwr.msc
<enter>

Right click application and choose CLEAR ALL EVENTS, do not save the log

Right click system and choose CLEAR ALL EVENTS, do not save the log

Reboot.

start > run, type
eventvwr.msc
<enter>

Look under systems and applications for items with red Xs that happened at the SAME time as your problem...list them here.