Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

My Sony Vaio keeps freezing during boot up

• Please log in to reply

amicizia

amicizia

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Please HELP...i don't have a clue about computers and mine is *****!!

I have sbcyahoo dsl and yesterday when i turned on my computer it asked me to download the updated software including some yahoo virus protection.

I did this then fllowed the instructions to restart. As the computer started to reboot it froze...i couldn't open anything and couldn't shut it down using the start menu so i had to maually shut it down.

Ever since then, every time i try to start up my computer it get's to my desktop, loads all the icons and then freezes bfore i can do anything...

I'm worried it may be the hard drive as the light that indicates hard drive working only lights up during the beginning of the start process, when it freezes the light stops flashing!
I'm sorry if i sound like a bimbo...computers really aren't my thing!! PLEASE HELP!!!

Advertisements

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
First, your hard drive is probably OK. The green LED light is an activity indicator. The hard drive is probably not being told to perform any disk accesses by the operating system.

Try this: Restart your system and immediately start tapping the F8 key about once per second to get into the Boot Options screen. Choose the item [sic] "Use last known good configuration". See if that allows your system to boot normally.
-----------------------

Your internet service provider, SBC, should not have you install any software what-so-ever. They are the cause of this mishap and you may have to call their tech support up and make them fix this problem. Don't give up untill they have guided you thru a fix.

Edited by WinCrazy, 31 May 2006 - 02:41 PM.

amicizia

amicizia

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you so much..you are my knight in shining armor!

I am at work right now so i'll try your suggestion when i get home..even if it doesn't work i really appreciate your time!
x