Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD-ROM no longer recognized by system

• Please log in to reply

Barb_at_work

Barb_at_work

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi GeeksToGo Trusted Techs,

I have an older Dell Precision 420 computer that uses Windows 2000; the computer has a CD-ROM drive. The two of us have been happy together for years until I installed I-Tunes with QuickTime. During the installation, I received a message that there was an error in the installation possibly related to conflicting CD-burning software (my CD-ROM drive does not have the ability to burn CD's). The message said to reinstall I-Tunes. When I tried to reinstall, I received the option to Repair or Uninstall. I tried Repair and received no further messages. I-Tunes seemed to be working fine. Then I put a music CD into the CD-ROM and it did not play. I went to Windows Explorer and the CD-ROM drive was not listed. I then put a data CD into the drive, still the drive was not listed.

I tried to do a System Restore but apparently Windows 2000 does not have the same kind of restore feature as Windows XP. I followed the instructions to go back to last functioning configuration, but the drive was still not recongized.

Next I uninstalled I-Tunes and QuickTime, since it seemed obvious to me that the problem started there. Still no functioning CD-ROM.

I then followed Microsoft's Troubleshooting instructions and searched for updated drivers (none); reinstalled the device driver (no change); uninstalled the CD-ROM and rebooted so Windows would detect the drive and re-install (still no change). When I look in the Device Manager, the CD-ROM has a yellow "!" over it, but when I check for conflicts, I cannot find anything.

So here I am now asking for help. I am not very computer savvy but I can follow directions for the most part. Any assistance you experts can offer is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your help, Barb

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
in device manager...wher eyou see the yellow ! ...if you double click the device...does it give you any info in the "device status" window?

Barb_at_work

Barb_at_work

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi dsenette,

This is the message I receive when I double-click on the drive:

"This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)

Click Troubleshooter to start the troubleshooter for this device."

Thank you for your help, Barb

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
right click on the drive and choose update drivers then follow the steps from there (if it asks about checking windows update...let it)

Barb_at_work

Barb_at_work

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi,

The Upgrade Device Driver Wizard searched my hard drive and Windows Update. THe search results for LG CD-ROM CRD-8482B said:

"A suitable driver for this device is already installed. To keep the currently installed driver, click Cancel. To search another location for a different driver click Back, or to reinstall the current driver, click Next.

c:\winnt\inf\cdrom.inf"

Thank you, Barb

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

or to reinstall the current driver, click Next.

did you click next? or are you still looking at the message? if so...press next and let it reinstall the current driver

Barb_at_work

Barb_at_work

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi, I didn't click Next; I was waiting for your instruction. I will do so now. Back in a moment.

Barb_at_work

Barb_at_work

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi again,

I clicked Next to reinstall the driver; the message said I needed to restart the computer which I did. The CD-ROM still does not work, and in the device manager it still has the yellow "!" and I receive the same message in the device status window (Windows cannot load drivers...(Code 31)).

Sorry, Barb

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Barb,
Try the cd gone patch at http://www.geekstogo...ne-t109781.html

Barb_at_work

Barb_at_work

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thank you austin_o; I am going to try it, but can you tell me how to back-up the registry in Windows 2000 first?

Many thanks, Barb

Barb_at_work

Barb_at_work

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Nevermind, I found how to make an Emergency Repair Disk and back up the registry to that disk. Now to try CDgone. Thanks, Barb

Barb_at_work

Barb_at_work

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Wow, Austin_O, it worked! Thank you so much! Wow, do I appreciate the help, from both you and dsenette. The CDGone program said to thank the author if it works; can you direct me how to do that? Also, is there a way to thank you for your assistance, personally or a charity or such?

Thanks for the help, Barb

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
If you go to http://aumha.org/regfiles.php (the author's web page) perhaps you can let them know there! Glad you got it working. You said thanks to me already and that is enough for me. Feel free to go to http://www.geekstogo...stions-f15.html and leave a comment if you like!

Edited by austin_o, 31 May 2006 - 05:03 PM.

Barb_near_Chicago

Barb_near_Chicago

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
Done and done! Thanks again for all your assistance, Barb

Barb_near_Chicago

Barb_near_Chicago

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
Oops, that is me (Barb at work) posting from home. Thank you Austin_O!