Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slipstreamed Xp gives out messages

• Please log in to reply

ChrisJL

ChrisJL

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Had a go at slipstreaming SP2 and some hotfixes into my XP Home SP1.

I used Nlite and the "merged" files work fine as a "new" ISO image on a CD-RW. (The application was so easy to use - no complex command line instructions I can never master.) :help:

CD ran ok and booted up fine and installed without any glitches onto a rebuilt PC. However, after the install I have had some (occasional) messages in a typical Windows dialogue box suggesting that Windows doesn’t recognise the file and gives a message that I should "reinstall" correct files from my "Windows XP Home Service Pack 2 CD. :whistling:

Despite that the installation seems to work fine and so far seems stable. I even done subsequent updates from the Microsoft update site.

So why is Windows giving the messages when all the slipstreamed files were from valid Microsoft disks? Was it because the original Window SP1 was an OEM version?

So should I worry? :blink:

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
it sounds like windows file protection kicking in....

Any chance of a screen shot of the dialogue?

ChrisJL

ChrisJL

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hi

Thanks for the reply.

Did not think at the time to capture the screen. I'll look to do so next time I get the message.

It seems to have occurred only when there is some other application is being installed - particularly when I installed Office 2000 and then all the service packs up to S3. However, I loaded Roxio Easy DVD 7 yesterday and there was no problem with tha error message occurring. I also did updates to NSW 2005 and Windows and again no problem.

Otherwise Windows seems quite stable. My thoughts (pure speculation) were that the slipstreamed Windows copy had certain files put into from SP2 an subsequent updates in such a way that the original files had simply been replaced rather than overwritten when you do a normal connect to Windows Update. Hence registry did not have a way of recognising them.

As I said overall the installation seems stable - so should I worry?