Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to determine my motherboard?

• Please log in to reply

ELECTRIC WIZARD

ELECTRIC WIZARD

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
How can I determine my motherboard? I am looking to upgrade my cpu and graphics card. Here is what I have.

VPR/MATRIX (From Bestbuy). Model 2020. (purchased in 2001).
Pentium® 4 processor 2.0 GHz, with 400 MHz system bus, Intel Motherboard.
Intel®2 total DIMM slots upgradable to 1.0 GB. I have 1gig of ram installed and a gforce Ti-4400 graphics card. 300 psu. I just ordered usb 2.0 card to install soon. I kind of have a bug and want to make my computer last a little longer.

Can anyone tell me what cpu will go with my system. I know I need a P4. I am hoping to get at least a 3.0. Also will I need a better power supply. I am a gamer and play battlefield 1942 and Vietnam all the time but I cant play BF2. I just want to get my computer good enough to play current games. I'm willing to spend about $500. I will get a new computer in 2 years.

thanks

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

First you need to know exactly which motherboard you have (i.e model number & version if applicable). To find this out, use one of the utilities listed below. They should both give you detailed info on the hardware in your computer. When you find out the model number etc, let us know what it is.

Aida32:
http://www.majorgeek...ownload181.html

SIW:
http://www3.sympatic...w_download.html

ELECTRIC WIZARD

ELECTRIC WIZARD

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Heres what came up on that program from majorgeeks.

Motherboard Properties
Motherboard ID 51-2300-000000-00101111-030199-$D845PT
Motherboard Name Intel Billings D845BG

CPU Properties
CPU Type Intel Pentium 4A, 2000 MHz (5 x 400)
CPU Alias Northwood, A80532
CPU Stepping B0
Original Clock 2000 MHz
L1 Trace Cache 12K Instructions
L1 Data Cache 8 KB
L2 Cache 512 KB (On-Die, ATC, Full-Speed)

CPU Physical Info
Package Type 478 Pin uPGA
Package Size 3.50 cm x 3.50 cm
Transistors 55 million
Process Technology 6M, 0.13 um, CMOS, Cu, Low-K
Die Size 146 mm2
Core Voltage 1.475 - 1.55 V
I/O Voltage 1.475 - 1.55 V
Typical Power 38.7 - 82 W (depending on clock speed)
Maximum Power 49 - 103 W (depending on clock speed)

What does this all mean. What CPU can I buy for this mobo?

thx

Edited by ELECTRIC WIZARD, 31 May 2006 - 07:40 PM.

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
If it's an Intel mobo, or you have an Intel CPU now, you can only have Intel processors. I did a Newegg search for what would be best for you and I got this one:
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819116171
From the reviews you may need another CPU heatsink.

Sadly, your mobo supports AGP video cards, which are lack luster when it comes to the newest games. Although, I didn't know this but the ATI X1600 is made in AGP form and may be your best bet (warriorscot will be there to dispute this with me though :whistling:):
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814102666

In terms of PSU, I would recommend getting one with at least 420watts. My PSU is 500 watts max and it works everything fine, temps are cool, things work, it's great.

Total this will take you to only maybe $3-400. The CPU is around $200ish, the card is $120, and PSU's range all over the place.

ELECTRIC WIZARD

ELECTRIC WIZARD

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Its an Intel Mobo.

Chipset Properties
Motherboard Chipset Intel Brookdale i845D
In-Order Queue Depth 12
CAS Latency 2.5T
RAS To CAS Delay 3T
RAS Precharge 3T
RAS Active Time 6T

Memory Slots
DRAM Slot #1 512 MB (DDR SDRAM)
DRAM Slot #2 512 MB (DDR SDRAM)

AGP Properties
AGP Version 2.00
AGP Status Enabled
AGP Aperture Size 64 MB
Supported AGP Speeds 1x, 2x, 4x
Current AGP Speed 4x
Fast-Write Supported, Enabled
Side Band Addressing Supported, Enabled

Chipset Manufacturer
Company Name Intel Corporation

How difficult is it to replace a PSU? I am a newbie and I am willing to learn. Just dont want to fry anything.
If I chose a graphics card with a 300 PSU rating, can I just leave the PSU I have in it or is upgrading to a faster CPU and graphics card going to require a 300 PSU upgrade?

memberix

memberix

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
The max CPU speed that your board supports is 2.6GHz which is around 150$.
And the fastest AGP card i think is the NForce 7800GS with 256MB and it costs about 300$. So if you think about upgrading this is the best you can do with your current motherboard.
Its not difficult to replace a PSU . Just disconnect all the cable that lead from it to the motherboard and the drives, take it out , put the new one in the case and reconnect everything the way it was. Get an least 500w PSU.

Edited by memberix, 31 May 2006 - 08:29 PM.

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
You forgot that second half, the video card I linked won't work, it's for 4x/8x AGP slots. Go with mem's suggestion. And yes, you will definantly need the bigger PSU, and it's not hard at all.

ELECTRIC WIZARD

ELECTRIC WIZARD

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Thanks for the help. I have some more questions.

1. Since I can only upgrade to a 2.6 is it worth it since I have a 2.0 now? Also how can I learn how to determine what upgrades my mobo supports?

2. I am confused about the graphics card. Can I run a card with 4x/8x agp? The 7800 supports a 4x/8x and so does the first card (ati1600) you recommended.

So which card should i look for?

Thanks

memberix

memberix

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Here is the link for your motherboard info http://support.intel...desktop/d845bg/
I believe it wast posted in your Everest repost. So you just had to click on it and see what are you motherboard
features , what CPU it supports, etc. on the page you have links for product features, Supported processors and everything you want to know. apparently you motherboard supports only AGP 2x/4x so upgrading to a better Graphics card wont be worth it. Upgrade you motherboard and CPU, then buy and PCI-Express graphics card which are even cheaper than their AGP versions.

crunch

crunch

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Ok, i didn't read everyone's but there is a site called powerleap. They will scan your PC and make the recomendations. They manufacture awsome adapters for upgrades. I've bought many from them, one I buy alot of is for upgrading the old slot one PII 350 Mhz to a socket 370/2 1.4Ghz with a 256 cache, and socket 370 upgrades that'll get ya around 3.0Ghz even old #7 133 Mhz board could only go up to 233Mhz wound up running 450Mhz great for kids home work and printer jobs. Sky is the limit if you want it, then esupport.com can fix you up with BIOS flashes to read and run the stuff.

Advertisements

ELECTRIC WIZARD

ELECTRIC WIZARD

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

apparently you motherboard supports only AGP 2x/4x so upgrading to a better Graphics card wont be worth it.

What bad news. I was hoping to at least upgrade the graphics card. So none of the geforce 6000 series or 7000 series will work?

I don't know anything about replacing a mobo but I am willing to try. I will also check out what crunch said about the adaptors.

thx

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Think this has already been mentioned - the fastest cpu that board will support is P4 2.6GHz providing you have a bios version of P06 or higher
Only 1.5V AGP 2x or 4x supported. You can use a 8x card but it must support dual voltages (0.8 & 1.5V) and it will only run at 4x

ELECTRIC WIZARD

ELECTRIC WIZARD

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
So I can run a newer card but I wont be able to run it higher than 4x. I currently run a geforce Ti-4400. Will upgrading to a geforce 6600 give me enough improvement running at 4x to make it worth upgrading? I want to play BF2.

This is my last question for this thread. Thanks to all of you who have responded.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Whether you notice a significant difference with the geforce 6600 will probably depend partly on how much video memory it has, compared to how much your current card has. As you already know, you won't be getting the full benefit from the 6600 because it will be running at only half of the total supported bandwidth (i.e 4x instead of 8x).

I can't really give you a much clearer answer than that because I'm not a gamer. Hopefully some other members will also give you their opinion on whether it's worth you upgrading the video or not.

The Colonel

The Colonel

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
First, I would recommend full upgrade. Second, I would get a 6800 or X1600. Third, I would recommend a 450W plus, most likely 480 or 500 W