Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Frustrated getting router to work with new DSL modem

• Please log in to reply

mlwjackson

mlwjackson

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Insight cable recently tried to "upgrade' their system and it has been a disaster. I left to go back to DSL. My problem is that my connection works flawlessly with when connected to my main computer but I cannot get it to work when using my old D-Link DI-704 router. It previously worked with DSL and works with cable but I can't seem to get the settings correct to work with the new Siemens Speedstream 4200 DSL modem Alltel provided.

I found pretty explicit instructions for setting the thing up for PPPoE services (mine is) for this router at; http://support.dlink...p?productid=928. However, I cannot find out how to "disable or uninstall the PPPoE software (i.e. Winpoet, Macpoet, Enternet300) on your computers".

How do I disable PPPoe on the computers?

Any other advice. I have 4 computers, all PC's running xp. My current set up is telephone line to surge/UPS input, telephone output to modem, ethernet cable from modem to WAN port of 4 port D-Link gateway, computers connected to each of the 4 output ports of the gateway.

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hello mlwjackson,

You may not have that software installed, hence the reason you can not locate it. If it's installed, it will show up in Add/Remove Programs (goto Start -> Run -> Type: appwiz.cpl and press OK). As long as you uninstall any software that came with your previous router and/or modem, you should be fine. You should be able to skip this step safely, as I highly doubt you actually have any of this software installed.

Any other advice. I have 4 computers, all PC's running xp. My current set up is telephone line to surge/UPS input, telephone output to modem, ethernet cable from modem to WAN port of 4 port D-Link gateway, computers connected to each of the 4 output ports of the gateway.

That's 100% correct. Is it working? You could also try running the Network Setup Wizard on each computer.. Though I doubt it's necessary if you were on a router previously. But it won't hurt to do it again.. So it's up to you.

Run the Network Setup Wizard:
  • Goto Start --> Programs --> Accessories --> Communications --> Network Setup Wizard.
  • The first thing to do when the wizard appears is read the welcome message, and then click Next.
  • Read the 'Before you continue....' message, and then click Next.
  • Select the option This computer connects to the Internet through a residential gateway or another computer on my network, and then press Next.
  • Now, type in a Description for your computer; ie: Jimmy's Computer.
  • Enter a Computer Name (or leave it as it's Default), and then press Next.
  • Enter a Workgroup Name -- or leave it as it's default, and then press Next.
  • If you want to share files and/or your printer with other computers on the network, select the option Turn on file and printer sharing and press Next.
  • Check the information; if it is all fine, press Next.
  • Now, if possible, you should Create a Network Setup Disk -- once you have created a Network Setup Disk, insert it into any other computer on your network, and run it; follow all prompts.

mlwjackson

mlwjackson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
I discovered (with the help of the Win XP Forum) that the software was not the issue. In checking the online users manual I found that the "modem" I was given was actually a single port router already running the PPPoE. I had been plugging that router into the WAN port of my 4 port router. By moving the "modem" RJ45 jack to a lan port the problem was fixed.

Thank you.

Mark