Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ability to re-use operating system?

• Please log in to reply

copedawg

copedawg

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm new and do not know a whole lot...this question will show that. I just bought Windows XP Pro for this computer. I'll be building a new one very soon...can i use this operating system on my new computer?? :whistling: I'm not sure, this is the first time I've never loaded an operating system before now. I'd really appreciate the help

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Yes you can. I have changed complete computers using the same Xp cd. I usually had to call microsoft on the phone number because the internet activation would not let me activate. I usually explained that the old computer fried or broke. One thing is that if you leave XP on the old computer and you sold the computer they will not be able to update the computer. I usually wipe the drive if im selling the computer unless they want to pay for XP.

SRX660

copedawg

copedawg

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the help :whistling:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i just wanna make this clear for anyone who comes along and reads this....it is only legal for you to use XP on ONE computer at a time (technically one processor..but...whatever)...so if you have 2 computers in your house...you can only use the cd on one of them...and you'd have to buy another copy of xp for the other computer...this applies to the full retail version..

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
and to take that one step further--if you purchased an OEM version and not a retail or upgrade version, you legally CANNOT install it on two different machines.

An OEM license is tied to a MACHINE, a retail and upgrade are tied to a USER.

So, when you install the retail, you can install it on a different machine, but only after removing it from the first

When you install an OEM version, it cannot be transferred to a different PC.

I have heard that MS is getting a little picky about what this means now. For example, if you have a PC and you swap out the motherboard, they will say the motherboard was the machine,

In the past, they did not really care about this sort of thing and in practice treated it like if you have some componants from the old machine it is OK, but they are now specifically tying an OS to certain core componants--system board, cpu