Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

LongBeep<stop>LongBeep<stop>,etc

• Please log in to reply

elite_destiny

elite_destiny

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
I had pulled my motherboard out and the ram itself to do some delicate cleaning and to replace the power supply. That all works but..now when i replaced the memory and start the system up I get a memory is missing beep ( long stop long sound). I cleared the cmos jp1 on my board ( chaintech something) but that didnt clear it. Any other thought...and yes I put it in the right directon.

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Did you ensure that the stick was seated firmy until you hear the retainers snap? Physically check the seating.

Ron

elite_destiny

elite_destiny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
ya i did..

crunch

crunch

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Try one RAM at a time and also rearange them. Did BIOS get changed to "ECC" from "non ECC".

elite_destiny

elite_destiny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
i switched the ram around and tried one at a time. no luck. where do i check the non ecc and ecc...and what should it be on.

crunch

crunch

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Sorry to take so long, had to reboot to look in BIOS. 90 % of us are "NON ECC which means non error checking and correcting. ECC is used for "server" computers that usually have other "client" computer hooked to them. In BIOS (get there by pressing delete, or esc, or F1, or whatever yours needs to get to BIOS immediatly after turning on. Then abou third item down is "CHIPSET FEATURES SETUP" open it and see if DRAM Data Integrity Mode is set to :Non ECC and below that BIOS Cacheable set to enable. I run ten computers hooked together but none are "server".

crunch

crunch

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
It's nice to have a stack of other computers that you can test them in or pull known functioning ones from to try on that board. Are they 168 pin or 184 or newer high dollars stuff. They do hold a static charge and it is possible to conduct from a couple pins to another. Causing damage or half to read. I had some reverse polarlity such that they would subtract their amount from the other RAMs but work fine alone. I saw something awhile back on RAM clearing and polarity, so don't give up on them when there's hope, I'll look for it as I saved it to favorites on one of the computers.

crunch

crunch

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Try here from about the fort on down; http://www.google.co...le Search&meta=

elite_destiny

elite_destiny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
the problem however is i cant even get into my bios through the computer. It will only turn on and do the long beep .it wont display anything. I thought maybe it was my graphics card because it takes time to warm up so i tried another and nothing...and i dont possess any memory that works for my board to try out besides what is already in there. My mother board is a chaintech VNF3-250

crunch

crunch

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
After becomeing addicted to computers as a hobbie I have aquired a slew of spare parts which has turned into my best solutions for trouble shooting (kind of shade tree style but quick results). I'm wondering about your CPU as well, both RAM problems and CPU problems has given me the black screen. I've become loyal to microstar, Biostar, and ASUS boards in my stock pile although Chianteck is quite famous amoung many users I'm not familiar with it's beep codes. In your cleaning is it possible that a little jumper came off (it's happened to me) that controls CPU Clock bus speed and CPU multiplier or also RAM settings, to find out refer to your manual and look for those 3 or 4 jumper locations symboled with JP_ and specks, a manual can be downloaded from their site at http://www.chaintech...utChaintech.asp or contact them at Tel:+886-2-8226-8188
URL:http://www.chaintech.com.tw

Pull the CPU reclean contacts and be sure of solid installation. The problem is probably something easy, finding it is the challenge. Try to be patient and hope someone else will jump in on this.

crunch

crunch

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
I've been able to get BIOS without RAM but not without CPU and graphics.

elite_destiny

elite_destiny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
cant find a jumper for the CPU...checking. best I had was a JP1 for reseting CMOS settings and the one for safe mode/norm mode jp 25. i refreshed cmos before but that didnt do much. The odd thing is that the cpu wasnt even meddled with. And beeps tend to be consistent regardless of board..at least the generic beeps. So a long beep refers to memory issues pretty consistently across boards. meh. back to the drawing board. post if any more ideas. I dont have any spare ram to try...i tried a new vid board but nada. sigh

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
what about your old psu? is it operable? If yes, reinstall it and restart. There is a possibility that the new psu is faulty.

Make sure that there is no short between the motherboard and the box. If necessary take out the motherboard, place it on a piece of cardboard to make sure it doesn't touch the box, connect it to the psu and restart.

crunch

crunch

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
True, carry on with the last reply. First, I scratched a MOBO two months back on the bottom side, had to push firmly after starting one screw to get the jacks out thier holes in the rear. Was only able to find the scratch with good light, tooth brush and rubbing alchahol, also magnifying glass. Did fix six tiny foil runners with stranded phone wire (not Solid) by soldering them to the foil lands (solder ends). Now on I apply black tape to the back side in the areas of potential contact. Second, if this just started after changing a PSU that could be a likely problem, I just had a new one that would only run a few minutes, might have a dead power output. Check your manual for the 20 or 24 pin MOBO connector schematics it will tell you what those voltages should be on the big connector such as reds are 5 volt, yellow 12 volt, black ground, others 3.3 v, etc.

crunch

crunch

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
P.S. to operate that PSU totaly free and clear of your computer, plug it in and use a paper clip to jumper grey to green on the 20/24 pin connector then turn on the switch on the rear of it. You can even load test it with 4 or 5 auto halogen headlamps (they draw about 100 watts each) hooked to the yellow and black power supplys for HDD and DVDs.