Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Best FREE Antivirus Software

• Please log in to reply

Paul Bennett

Paul Bennett

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
My norton subscription is about to run out (came with my new PC) and I really dislike norton these days, so I wont renew. I need some Ideas of some decent, quality antivirus software, that is free (with new defination updates).

Does such software exist? What would you recommend?

Thanks so much.

EDIT: Please move to Software > Applications. Sorry.

Edited by Paul Bennett, 31 May 2006 - 10:09 PM.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Avast is my favourite, does pretty much eveything norton does but better in every way, lighter on resources less intrusive and looks good as its skinable.
It updates usually several times a day which is excellent better than norton does and it has its own firewall.

Other alternatives are AVG or antivir but i dont like them as much because they arent as feature rich as Avast and dont have the same level of "polish".

humminn

humminn

I post links to websites I get a commission from

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
AVG is also an GOOD one.

You can also try WinAntiVirus Pro this works quite well also

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
AVG and Avast are the two best freeware AV programs that offer realtime protection--meaning, that they are always sitting in the background looking for suspicious activity

you should choose on or the other, but not both--two AV programs that do realtime scanning will cause trouble at times.

It is not a terrible idea to complement one of these with a second AV program without realtime scanning. Once a month, disable the realtime AV program and run the other.

There are a number of these available. Antivir PE and Bitdefender Free are good options.

Another program to watch is ClamWin. This is based on the opensource Clam AV. They are getting very good with updates, sometimes as often as several times a day.

The best av program is the one that has the most recent definitions.

Clam AV has come on strong in the last year in this regard

At the moment, Clam does not have realtime monitoring, though the next major upgrade will incorporate it. It bears watching.