Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ugrading to liquid cooling questions

• Please log in to reply

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
I was thinking of updating my case. The one I have now is rather generic. My graphics card is constantly over heating (there is no fan on it).
I'm thinking of going for liquid cooling (It gets very hot here in summer!). I was considering this:
http://www.pccasegea...au/prod2862.htm or something similar.

I've never used liquid cooling before, it shouldn't be to hard to setup.... I'm just worried about a connection breaking or coming loose if knocked or moved, I don't want to damage anything. Has this happened to anyone?
I will upgrade the Motherboard and graphics in not to long (to Dx10, I'm using an AGP card at the moment) but I wouldn't want to upgrade the case, Will the Mobo tray (or case) fit future released M/B's(probably not I think)?
Or would I have to upgrade the case and transfer the cooling?

Does anyone have any thoughts on liquid cooling

Edited by sarahw, 01 June 2006 - 01:40 AM.

Advertisements

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
well first of all are you wanting to buy that case with that liquid cooling setup? i only ask because it comes as a compleate set and not indervidually.

yes a new motherboard will fit in the case as long as it is ATX or BTX but as i mentioned earlier you wont be able to transfer the cooling because it comes built into that case,
troppo

Edited by troppo, 01 June 2006 - 12:16 AM.

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts

are you wanting to buy that case with that liquid cooling setup? i only ask because it comes as a compleate set and not indervidually.

Yes I want the whole set up. I thought it comes in parts, as it says "Tool free instalation". Also, the parts can be bought seperatly, so I imagine I would be able to transfer it to another case if a new mobo specs. come out. (IE p3 to P4 - different cases right?). atx btx

http://www.pccasegea...u/prod2828.htm Without the cooling

I'm mainly worried about coolant leaking everywhere

Edited by sarahw, 01 June 2006 - 03:10 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You should read through the other couple of liquid cooling threads from recently, make sure you are up to it. Water cooling IS NOT easy to install. And it does cost alot over $200 for anything significantly better than air cooling.

Mobo forms are independant of what goes on them all current motherboards are compliant to the ATX standard which has been around for a long time. The newest update is BTX and alot of new cases actually suppport BTX as well as ATX but uptake on BTX is quite low because not everyone has it generally one the larger mobos for server use have gone BTX.

That case seems ok however your cooling kit would be the first thing make sure its going to fit. The best are asetek or swiftech, the latest gigabyte kit is also good looking but im not sure on availability for it.

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
the term "tool free installation" refers to installing har drives 5 1/4 inch drives and 3 1/2 in drives you can install them without tools i have this feature on my case its ok if your swapping drives in and out all the time but to tell you the truth it seems pointless really when do you just swap drives in and out all that often?

"tool free" isnt refering to the cooling kit. that cooling kit has been customly designed for that case hence the radiator holes on the side of the case.

that cooling kit can not be just added or installed to a new case only new components into that case.

there is always the risk f leaking coolant but it just depends on how you set it up if you do it correctly and thourally then there should be no reason for concern but if you are really concerned there is coolant out there that is non conductive but im sure it is extreamly expensive especially down here in aus ( i live here to )
and im not sure where you could get it maybe see if you can find that case with cooling on the net somewhere else try google and se if you can get some specs on it,
troppo

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
As a general rule the prebuilt liquid cooling cases tend to be expensive and more often than not poorer in cooling than seperate kits. but i would be more inclined to spend the cash on a new mobo and gfx card because thats the kinda prices we are talking about it aint cheap.

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
Warriorscot ^^^

Water cooling IS NOT easy to install

I think this one as a complete kit would solve alot of the problem of assembly. It just needs to be connected to the board and cards.

make sure you are up to it

That shouldn't be a problem, I can reco a V8, this should be easy. lol.

Troppo ^^

"tool free" isnt refering to the cooling kit. that cooling kit has been customly designed for that case hence the radiator holes on the side of the case.

Your right, the case is designed for cooling (hence the holes), but if it's screwed on. How could you upgrade it? Or service it? (They wouldn't weld it on would they.) Updating the case transfering the cooling is probably something that would interest me more I suppose.

Warriorscot ^

spend the cash on a new mobo and gfx card

I'll get a case and cooling when I get the new Mobo and video, but no, it ain't cheap. That's why I wanted opinions. I've still got a while to think it over. (Wait for Vista or DX10)

ATX BTX compatible sounds like a good option too.

Edited by sarahw, 01 June 2006 - 07:17 AM.

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
from the looks of it you can not upgrade the cooling system the case and cooling system are one COMPLETE unit. you probably could remove the cooling setup but you can not replace it with one of a different setup in the same possition. this cooling system has been customly made to fit inside that case and screw onto the side most other liquid coolers only fit onto the back (radiator) this one is made to sit on the side where it has its own holes.

you can not change the cooling setup from this case. you can remove it to service it (which you probably wont need to unless its changing coolant) but can not replace it with another cooling setup do some research on the net that will help you to get more familiar with teh setup and look for reveiw's they will tell you about the cooling performance.
troppo