Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Start-Up issues with Win XP Pro

• Please log in to reply

SirWill

SirWill

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I'm trying to help a friend fix his box. The computer is running Win XP Pro and everytime the computer boots, (After the windows splash screen), the computer goes into setup mode. (Like when you re-install your OS from scratch - "39 minutes to etc.") This happed sometime if the computer crashes during the install phase.

Anyway, the computer wants the Win XP Pro CD so that it can copy files some system files, so I put the disk in and it started to copy the files. Then with in 30 seconds it errors out and prompts for a restart. After the restart it does everything over again!

Is there a software "toggle" that can be turned so that the system will boot correctly?

I have tried every possible way of booting, including safe mode, but it did not help. I pulled the drive and put it in another computer as a secondary drive to run "scandisk" on it. No luck!

Any Good Ideas? :whistling:

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I don't see any way around a repair installation

http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

SirWill

SirWill

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Other that needing to do all my WIN XP Pro Updates over again, it worked wonderfully!!

Much Thanks!! :whistling:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
thanks for letting us know