Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC Freezes when playing Online BF2 and COD2

• Please log in to reply

beemaa

beemaa

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi guys/girls

Ok, for bout a week now my PC has been doing something really weird i cant pin point the problem.

I have an AMD64 Athlon
Geforce 7800 GTX 256Mb
Over 1000 Gig HDD
1024 of Ram
Cable Modem
Sound Blaster Live ! 5.1

I built the system myself and was working fine till one/two weeks ago..

I use Gamearena as my games launch pad, i can play COD2 online from there and also a few others.

I load up COD2 Multiplayer, select a server, jump in.. everything seems fine and then about 30sec - 60secs the only sound i hear is Ambient sounds from the map, and my screen has completetly frozen up. I cant get out of COD2 using anything, not even CTRL-ALT-DEL ..

I have tried the same thing out with BF2 and its exactly the same, loads up fine, and then bang... it just freezes up and in both cases i need to do a reboot in order to get things back to normal.

My CPU Fan now is also playing up, i get a warning buzzer everytime i boot up, telling me the fans not going, and then magically it starts by itself seconds later. I have checked the operating temp of the CPU in the BIOS and its at 32 celcious which i think is normal.

When running COD2 i checked the processes to see how much mem it was using up, dont know if its normal or not but COD2 was using in excess of 320,000K of mem... seems a bit much. The memory was just increasing till it froze up.

I have tried to uninstall COD2, reinstall, i have tried to upgrade my sound drivers/Graphics card drivers, i have tried to set my sound to Basic hardware acceleation nothing seems to work.

COD2 DOES work in single player fine, and also tested it by loading up a server of my own running on my machine as server/client and that seems to work with no problems.. only dosnt work in Multiplayer Online...

ANY help at all would be REALLY appreciated..
thanks

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
a couple of things:

install the latest drivers from nvidia for your video card.

make sure you have the 1.01 and the 1.1 patch for cod2 installed (in that order).

what system board do you have? most system boards today come with some form of monitoring software. We need to make sure there isn't any kind of voltage issues. Improper voltage can cause wierd things to happen.

You do have the extra power connection plugged into the video card correct?

I have an asus 8mvp system board. from a cold power up the cpu fan runs at power on, stops for a second during the bios post, and then starts again. Just long enough to trip the bios error. If I just go through a restart or power off and back on after its warmed up, I have no issues. Sounds like you may have a similiar issue.

Try this and let me know what happens.