Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Disabling WinPoet

• Please log in to reply

mlwjackson

mlwjackson

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
I'm trying to get a D-Link DI-704 router to talk to my DSL modem. One of the setup instructions says that I have to "disable of uninstall the PPPoE software (i.e. WinPoet, MacPoet, Enternet300)on your comuters" because the PPPoE is built into the router. I am running XP Pro on two computers and XP Home on two others. How do I disable the PPPoE software?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
are you certain it is installed?

winpoet, etc, are installed when you hook up your pc to dsl without the benefit of a router. -- meaning, you got DSL, installed the software so that only one machine used the dsl connection

If you are just starting with DSL and never had a single machine hooked up (and didn't use the dsl company setup software) you do not have winpoet installed

If you do, you shoudl be able to remove it in add/remove control panel

mlwjackson

mlwjackson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

are you certain it is installed?

winpoet, etc, are installed when you hook up your pc to dsl without the benefit of a router. -- meaning, you got DSL, installed the software so that only one machine used the dsl connection

If you are just starting with DSL and never had a single machine hooked up (and didn't use the dsl company setup software) you do not have winpoet installed

If you do, you shoudl be able to remove it in add/remove control panel

I followed the setup instructions and did run the DSL vendor software but they said that it did not install any PPPoE software because it is installed in the 'modem' itself. In looking up the user manual for the modem it appears that it is acutally a one port router itself and not just a modem (Siemens Speedstream 4200). My 4 port router has the ability to be setup as PPPoe, Static IP, Dynamic IP addressing and one other choice that escapes me. I have tried it in both PPPoE and dynamic addessing mode and get nowhere. What do you recommend? :whistling:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Just so we're clear, the modem is connected to the WAN port and the machines are connected to the LAN ports?

If that is the case, that is wrong....

because your modem is also a router, you want to connect it to the LAN side, to force the router to behave as a switch. In the DLINK, disable the dhcp function, too.

mlwjackson

mlwjackson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Just so we're clear, the modem is connected to the WAN port and the machines are connected to the LAN ports?

If that is the case, that is wrong....

because your modem is also a router, you want to connect it to the LAN side, to force the router to behave as a switch. In the DLINK, disable the dhcp function, too.

Does this mode of setup have any adverse performance effects. Tech support said that I could put the modem/router into bridge mode using a reset button on the back. I did that and it did not fix the problem. I will try connecting through a LAN port instead of the WAN port.

mlwjackson

mlwjackson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
THANK YOU Gerryf. That appears to have been my problem. All of my computers are now able to access the web using one DSL account. Thank you very much!

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Ah good!

Yes, actually, bridging the routers might be acceptable if both devices support it, but I would be somewhat surprised if the dlink does...