Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Telnet

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

mattdman1991

mattdman1991

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi,

I'm on Windoze XP and I can't access (write/check) my mail through telnet on port 25 . I've done a port scan and it says that port 25 is closed. Is it my ISP that's blocking port 25?

Heres what I get:

C:\windows\documents and settings\me> Telnet MX1.Hotmail.com 25 <enter>

554 please check that your SMTP server is set to smtp.wanadoo.co.uk.

Connection to host lost.

Now I've set my smtp to smtp.wanadoo.co.uk on outlook, but the thing still won't let me through!

Any suggestions?

Cheers.

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Double check that your settings in Outlook are correct:

What Settings Do I Enter in Outlook

Ron

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
um...are you trying to telnet into a hotmail server?...that won't work...i would doubt that even y our isp would let you telnet into their mail server...heck...even if this were a private mail server i would doubt that you could telnet to it...i could be wrong...but i doubt i am....what are you trying to do here?

mattdman1991

mattdman1991

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I've telnetted into hotmail's outgoing mail server quite a few times before, but since I've gone to XP and changed my ISP I haven't been able to.

The reason i'm trying to telnet into their server is to send mail. By giving the correct commands you can send an email from the hotmail server from any address you like. This is commonly called "spoof mailing". It's great for practical jokes. I've successfully done this about 6-7 times now but haven't been able to since I changed to XP.

And before anyone asks YES it is legal. It's only illegal if you take part in social engineering, i.e pretending to be someone else to retrieve passwords.

Hope this explains.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
um...actually no...spoofing is always illegal..you're trying to pretend you're someone you aren't....and taking advantage of someone elses services....we are not going to help you with this...find another practical joke or check google...

if you have a problem with this...PM another Moderator or an Administrator