Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Keyboard Question / Opinions

• Please log in to reply

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
This upgrade will not be for a long time, but since it's beginning to bother me that I can only press 3 keys at a time on my current keyboard, I decided to browse the market.

My two top choices are the Logitech G-15 or whatever (the one with the LCD) or the Saitek Eclipse.

I've heard good things about the Logitech but it is $20 more than the Saitek. However, I've also heard the Saitek's paint comes off and the lights aren't that great.

My main questions are:
-Which would be the better buy?
-What's the maximum simultaneous key presses allowed on each one (I can't find that anywhere)?

Edited by BlackPandemic, 01 June 2006 - 01:22 PM.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
7 i would imagine, i like the zboards not a fan of lights and its cheap, saitek usually gets good reviews the G15 looks nice but it costs WAY TOO MUCH for a keyboard if i want an LCD temp monitor ill build one myself.

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
That was my thinking. People are like "Oh iTunes shows up and I can see what song I'm listening to!" Yeah that little box in the bottom of your screen that says iTunes, that does too :whistling:

7 i would imagine

You would imagine? Is that like the standard for "gaming" keyboards?

Edited by BlackPandemic, 02 June 2006 - 08:53 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
7 is standard yes sometimes more but thats rare. You can make those LCDs and stick them to your wall if you really want to or you can buy them cheaply and they are usually alot cooler in the big wallmounted version or case mounted.

And if they listen to itunes then there opinion doesnt matter all that much, itunes lol.

Edited by warriorscot, 02 June 2006 - 08:38 AM.

ELECTRIC WIZARD

ELECTRIC WIZARD

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
I bought the Saitek Eclipse about 5 months ago. The keys are backlite. The letters are transparent and the light shines thru so you can see the letter illuminated. There is a dimmer button for bright, medium and off. I use it mainly at night when gaming. I have to look down once in a while for that f10 key or what not. I just started noticing that the paint on the W button is beginning to wear. As this is the most used key in FPS. All other keys are fine. The response is soft yet responsive. The keyboard also has a volume control for sound. I dont need to have a light on in the room to see the keys at night. Overall I recommend it. I prefer playing in the dark and dont want any other lites on in the room. The lights are bright enough to use at night. During the daytime they are not as effective.

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
Not to sound rude but I know the perks of it already wiz :whistling:

I needed opinions. The wearing of the W key worries me. You've had it 5 months and it's wearing out already? Someone elses review said as long as you wash your hands and don't bathe in oil you'll be fine :blink:

ELECTRIC WIZARD

ELECTRIC WIZARD

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
lol. I will try to add 2 photos for you to check out.

Attached Thumbnails

• June06_001.jpg

ELECTRIC WIZARD

ELECTRIC WIZARD

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
last one.

Attached Thumbnails

• June06_002.jpg

The Colonel

The Colonel

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
I personally would prefer the logitech. I didn't like the feel of the Eclipse.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I prefer either of the Zboard models other logitech or eclipse, the normal zboard isnt the best looker but its certainly one of the best performers and its usually cheaper as well, custom keysets are nice as well, has all your mediafunctions and 10 other global hotkeys you can customise and you can customise the keyboard in other ways and make new keysets and adjust old ones if you alter the files.

Its a good keyboard gold plated contacts and all that lark.