Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do I " OverClock ' my PC

• Please log in to reply

latinsnake

latinsnake

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I have a 2.2 Ghz pc with 700 mb of Ram .. I dont think my pc is fast enough to play X 264 video properly .

It plays , but every ten minutes the Audio gets out of Synch .

Could someone please explain to me in detail how to " overclock " my Pc to get it to run faster .

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Seriously, don't bother.

Overclocking is for people who like to brag they get every once of ooompph out of there CPU, but it is unlikely to address your issue. Truthfully, though, a typical overclock nets about 5-to-10 percent boost in CPU performance at best

This is irrelevent since most games are not dependent on CPUs. They rely more on videocards and system memory

There was a time, when you would overclock an amd 300 to 500mghtz, and that meant someone. OC'ing your 2.2 to 2.4 or 2.5 is a miniscule performance boost and risks ruining your system

You would need to increase the bus speed, voltage, etc and that means more heat, and that means instability.

latinsnake

latinsnake

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
X264 is not a video game , ITs a Video format like Xvid [ avi] Its very proccessor heavy .. It dosent use a lot of Ram . 2.4 -2.6 ghz is around the minumum requirements to play it , I easily make the requirements for Ram .

If boosting my pc to 2.4 Ghz would risk damaging my pc , then its not worth it I will just stick with HD Xvids which are still pretty good .

memberix

memberix

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Overclock only if you have good colling. Download Motherboard Monitor from mbm.livewiredev.com and check the temperature of you CPU. If its stays lower than 50C degrees under 100% load you can try overclocking it at small steps and check the temperature. if it doesnt increase to much then leave it at the max stable FSB settings. Make sure the Temp stays below 60C at 100% load. If your current CPU temp is way lower than 50C then even better. But dont overclock it more than 15% cause the speed difference after that will be too small.

latinsnake

latinsnake

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Thanks Memberix . But Please explain how to " Overclock " my pc ? I dont know how to do it .

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you can damage your system

If you absolutely insist, here is a well written, easy to follow guide

http://www.ocia.net/...ide/page1.shtml